For over 30 years, those who need to know have turned to HVS for guidance. HVS San Francisco is a consulting and valuation firm that specializes in the hospitality and gaming industries. With 30 years of experience in providing litigation support, HVS San Francisco has the knowledge and experience to be an asset to any firm. We provide expertise in every facet of the hospitality and gaming industries, including hotels, resorts, mixed-use projects, convention centers, golf courses, marinas, racetracks, fractionals, campgrounds, and tribal gaming facilities--all over the United States and around the world.
Areas of Expertise
- Golf Course Appraisal
- Hotel & Hospitality
- Hotel Appraisal
- Real Estate Valuation
- Restaurant Valuation
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S., School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
Liberal Arts Undergraduate Study – Carnegie Mellon University
Completion of MAI course work - Appraisal Institute
New York University - School of Continuing Education - Real Estate Division
Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in the following states:
Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington DC
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Appraisal Institute - Member (MAI)
•Board of Directors – San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (1994, 1995)
•Education Committee Chairperson – Northern California Chapter 11
•Workshop Committee Chairperson – Northern California Chapter 11
•Division of Courses - National Committee
•Continuing Education Committee – New York Committee
•Director, Real Estate Computer Show – New York Chapter
American Society of Real Estate Counselors – Member (CRE)
•Vice Chair – Northern California Chapter (1994, 1995)
•Chair – Northern California Chapter (1996)
National Association of Review Appraisers & Mortgage Underwriters (CRA)
International Society of Hospitality Consultants - Member (ISHC)
Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
Cornell Hotel Society
Cornell University – Center for Hospitality Research Board of Directors
American Hotel and Motel Association
California Hotel and Motel Association
Urban Land Institute
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: American Bar Association - Property Tax 1992 - Income Approach
American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers - Approved Instructor - Hotel/Motel Valuations
Americas Lodging Industry Summit (ALIS) - 2002-2014
Summer Seminar Spectacular 1998 - National and International Hospitality Markets
National Summer Conference 2002 - The Aftermath: Our World Post September 11 – A Hospitality Perspective
Northern California Chapter 2001 Annual Fall Conference - Valuing Intangible Assets for Property Tax Assessment Purposes
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter 1996 - Motel Valuation Case Study
Instructor - Hotel Valuation Online Seminar
Hotel Valuation Workshop, 2012
California Assessors Association Annual Conference - Hotel Valuation and Trends, October 26, 2009
California Hotel and Motel Association
1985 Annual Meeting - Development Overview
1995 Annual Meeting - Capital Expenditure Requirements
1997 Annual Meeting - Roses or Weeds? What Does the Future Hold for California’s Lodging Industry?
California Receivers Forum - The Receiver as Innkeeper: A Primer on Valuation, Operation and Strategic Disposition of Hotels, 2002
Citibank, N.A. - Hotel/Motel Valuations
Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW-SF) & Real Estate Investment Advisory Council (REIAC) -
The San Francisco Hotel Boom (with Chip Conley, president of Joie de Vivre Hospitality),1998
Cornell Center for Professional Development - Hotel Workouts; Computerized Approach to Hotel Valuations
and Market Studies, 1990
Cornell University - Real Estate Finance; Lessons Learned: Slide Rules to Spreadsheets, 2004
Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration - Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series – The Road Taken: Career of an Entrepreneurial Consultant, September 2010
Counselors of Real Estate - Hotel Valuations: New Techniques for Today’s Uncertain Times, 2010
Country Hospitality Conference - Hotel Development Challenges in the Nineties
Econo-Travel Motor Hotel Corporation - Annual Financial Seminar - Hotel Valuation
Fishing for Solutions - Servicing Hotel Defaults in Troubled Waters, 2002-2004
Hotel Asset Managers Association - San Francisco Bay Area Market Overview, 2003
Hotel Design - HD Town Hall Meeting 2002, 2004 - The State of Our Industry
Hotel Industry Investment Conference (14th Annual) - Numbers, Numbers & More Numbers….Where Are We, and Where Are We Headed?
IIUSA EB-5 International Investment & Economic Development Forum 2013 – Visitor Spending Economic Impact Model
Institute of Property Taxation - 1984 Real Estate Symposium - Simultaneous Valuation
Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro
Meet the Money, 1998-2013
Executive Briefing 2013 – Hotels and Mixed-Use Development
Forum – Answers to Three of the Most Provocative Questions in Hotel Valuation Today
KW Commerical - Webinar, 2012
Law Seminars International - Buying & Selling Hotels, 2008
Lodging Conference, 1999 & 2000
Midwest Lodging Investors Summit , 2009
Napa Valley Women’s Real Estate Roundtable - HotHotHot—Hospitality, 2004
National Association of Review Appraisers and Mortgage Underwriters - Reviewing a Hotel Appraisal Report, 1990
National Association of Property Tax Attorneys - Hotel Valuation, 2012
National Conference of State Tax Judges - Valuation and the Hospitality Industry
Northwest Center for Professional Development - Hotel Development Seminars, 1986-87
NYU Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, 1991-1995 & 2003
Orange County Appraisal Society Real Estate Conference - Hotel Valuation and Trends, 2009
Southampton College - Feasibility Studies and Appraisals
Special American Business Internship Training (SABIT) - 2006 Hotel Management Program
Strategic Hotel Default Lender Summit - Servicing Loan Defaults in Today’s Uncertain Times, 2003
UCLA Hotel Industry Investment Conference, 1995-2001
ULI San Francisco - Brownbag Seminar: Trends in Casino Hotel Properties, 2008
University of Denver - Hotel/Motel Valuation
US Hotel Market Connections Conference - Panel Discussion Moderator, 2013
USF 20th Annual Hospitality Industry Symposium - Prognosis for the Hospitality Industry, 2010
VALCON 2010 - Real Estate: the Economics and Future of Malls, Hotels and Gaming (with Anne Lloyd-Jones), February 24-26, 2010
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 70 times since 1985.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Hospitality assets both proposed and existing (hotels, resorts, motels, and multi-use projects) as well as casino projects both proposed and existing.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 25%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 75%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 40 times or in approximately 60% of cases
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Over 30 times or approximately 40% of cases
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Over 20 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Operational Reviews, Revenue Enhancement, and Expense Containment analyses
Management Contract Negotiation and Asset Management
In-depth Market Assessments and Feasibility Analyses
Product Programming Recommendations
Forecasts of Revenue and Expense
Appraisal Review and Management
Litigation Support, Assessment, and Quantification of Damages
Property Tax Assessment Appeal Advisory Services and Business and Real Property
REIT and Prop Co/Op Co lease structuring
Advisory Services to Universities, Municipalities, and other Agencies regarding
Purchase Price Allocations
Structuring of Public Financing
Feasibility Studies for Proposed Gaming Facilities
Ad Valorem Appraisals for Property Tax Assessment, Delineating Income and Value Attributable to the Business Enterprise
Integrated Casino Resorts Appraisals
Native American Gaming Facilities
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Please call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Please call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Please call
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Please call
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel fees
References upon request.