My career includes over 29 years in the security and investigative field. This includes experience in contract security, shopping centers and retail operations, hotels, manufacturing, nightclubs and bars, critical infrastructure-utilities, and entertainment industries.
I am a former member of the ASIS International Hospitality, Entertainment, and Tourism Council and past Chapter Chairman of the Las Vegas Chapter. Current memberships include ASIS International, the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association, the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, The International Association Crime Analysts, The International Association of Certified Surveillance Professionals, the International Association of Professional Security Consultants, and the National Center for Spectator Sports Security and Safety.
I have achieved several academic degrees and certifications relevant to the security industry including a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice/Loss Control, a Master of Science Degree in Security Administration and I have earned 50 doctoral credits in research methods, criminology, education, and hospitality while enrolled in the Public Affairs-Workforce Development and Organizational Leadership Doctoral program at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. I am one of the few individuals who has obtained all three Board Certifications offered by ASIS International: Certified Protection Professional (CPP), Physical Security Professional (PSP), and Professional Certified Investigator (PCI).
I possess and maintain multiple instructor and instructor-trainer certifications in security disciplines including defensive tactics, handcuffing, pepper spray, tactical communication and incident de-escalation, baton, use-of-deadly force, and multiple Law Enforcement and Civilian firearm instructor ratings I am a former Adjunct Professor in Criminal Justice at the University of Phoenix, a former Instructor with UNLV International Gaming Institute (IGI) lecturing on security for Bars, Nightclubs and Use-of-Force and a former instructor with TAM Nevada’s Techniques of Alcohol Management alcohol course.
Professional licensure includes Private Investigator and Private Patrolman Licenses by the State of Nevada, Private Investigator and Security Consultant Licenses by the State of Texas, and Private Investigator Licenses with the States of Arizona, California and Colorado. It is my belief that my professional experience, education, and training allow me to opine on this matter.
Areas of Expertise
- Apartment/Condominium Security
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Casino & Gaming Industry
- Crime Foreseeability
- Deadly/Excessive Force
- Hotel Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Parking Lots/Garages
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Steve has a Master’s Degree in Security Administration from the University of Detroit, a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Lake Superior State University and an Associate’s Degree in Business from Lansing Community College. Steve has accumulated 50 post-master’s credits in research methods, criminology, education, and hospitality while enrolled in the Public Affairs-Workforce Development and Organizational Leadership Doctoral program at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.
Steve has earned three board certifications, first in Security Management as a Certified Protection Professional (CPP), second, in Physical Security as a Physical Security Professional (PSP), and a third in Investigations as a Professional Certified Investigator (PCI), all granted by ASIS International. Additionally, he has earned certification as a Certified Protection Officer (CPO) and a Certified Protection Officer Instructor (CPOI) by the International Foundation for Protection Officers (IFPO). He holds licenses as a private investigator in Nevada and California and as a Private Patrolman in Nevada.
Steve holds multiple instructor and instructor-trainer certifications in areas including, firearms, TASER, defensive tactics, handcuffing, use-of-force, pepper spray, expandable baton and alcohol awareness training for servers and security staff. He regularly conducts training courses in the areas of security firearms, concealed carry, chemical sprays, impact weapons, handcuffing, arrest and detention, executive protection, and general security education. He is a state certified instructor for teaching concealed firearms courses by the states of Nevada and Utah and is a certified instructor for security officer firearms training in Nevada.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Steve is the former Chapter Chairman and Education Committee Chairman for the Las Vegas Chapter of the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS). Currently, Steve is a member of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA), the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI), ASIS International, and was a founding member of the TASER Professional Security Advisory Board.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Former Adjunct Instructor with the University of Phoenix and current Instructor with the University of Nevada-Las Vegas International Gaming Institute.
20 years instructor and instructor trainer for security training programs.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 90+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Negligent security and use-of-force
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 12
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Within a month
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 1
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 9
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Security consulting, assessments, firearm and use-of-force training, alcohol awareness training.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $325.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $325.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $325.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $325.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Contact for additional information
References upon request.