Expert witness and forensic investigator, Steve R. Lee, has been a driving force in winning billions of dollars of settlements, recoveries and savings for his clients in bet-the-company litigation. Lee is recognized in global venues for his expertise in misappropriation of intellectual property, cyber security, data privacy, fraud, defeating class certification, and commercial damages. Lee is a guest commentator on national news addressing such topics as the Ponzi schemes, SEC investigations and global cyber security issues.
As specialists in bet-the-company litigation, Mr. Lee and his firm served Morgan Stanley in one of the largest commercial antitrust damages lawsuits in US history. The matter settled favorably for Mr. Lee's clients in the amount of almost US $3 billion. Scores of insurance, transportation, high technology, logistics, healthcare, media and entertainment, retail, energy, utility, food and beverage, finance, government and private equity clients both domestically and internationally have capitalized on the firm's expertise, discretion and demonstrated ability to help their attorneys prevail.
Lee has been instrumental in defeating class certification in various TCPA, labor and employment, false advertising and other matters. He has also played key roles in obtaining positive outcomes in Federal Trade Commission, SEC and United States Department of Justice regulatory actions including, but not limited to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act matters. Mr. Lee’s testimony has been specifically and extensively cited at the appellate level in affirming rulings for his clients.
Lee has testified in the United States, The Caribbean, Europe, the Near East, the Far East, and Australia.
- Business Interruption
- Computer Security
- Corporate Governance
- Electronic Discovery
- Forensic Accounting
- Fraud Investigation
- Intellectual Property
- Lost Profits
- Trade Secrets
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: -
Master's in Management
Master's in Economics
Bachelor's in Economics
Certified Fraud Examiner
Certified Management Consultant
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: -
Institute of Management Consultants
Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
American Bar Association
American Society of Appraisers
Association of Records Management Administrators
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: -
Information Systems (US Navy / Webster University)
Strategic Planning (US Navy / Webster University)
Corporate Finance (Webster University)
Introductory Economics (University of Missouri)
Trade Secrets and Cyber Security (California Bar Association)
Functions of an Expert Witness (University of San Diego - School of Law)
"Detecting Fraud" (Commercial Finance Association)
"Cyber Security" (Enfuse Conference)
"Cyber Security and the Law Firm" (Bar Association of San Francisco)
"Law Firms and Information Governance" (Chicago Bar Association)
"Integrating Physical and Cyber Security" (Northern Trust VIP Event)
"Due Diligence in China" (M&A Conference - Cayman Islands)
"Global Risk Assessment" (Morgan Stanley - Seminar)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 200-300
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: -
Misappropriation of intellectual property
Intellectual property valuation
Complex commercial damages
Cellular and satellite communications
Labor and employment issues
Weights and measures
Breach of fiduciary duty
Accounting standards of practice
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 10% - typically a very large enterprise bringing an action against another very large enterprise.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 90% - typically a large or very large business.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 150-200
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: This month.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 50+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 50+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30+
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: -
Scott A. Carlson, Chair, eDiscovery and Information Governance
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
233 South Wacker Drive , Suite 8000
Chicago, IL 60606-6448 USA
Mac Imrie, Partner
Maples and Calder LLP
South Church Street, PO Box 309
Grand Cayman KY1-1104, Cayman Islands
Christie Del Rey-Cone, Partner
cerasia | del rey-cone
150 Broadway, Suite 1517
New York, NY 10038
Richard W. Brunette, Jr., Partner
Sheppard Mullin Richter
333 S. Hope Street, Suite 4700
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Martin Jaszczuk, Partner
311 S. Wacker Drive, Suite 3200
Chicago, Illinois 60606