Scott W. Stern is an award winning mental health and addictions psychotherapist (LCSW). Therapy integrates empowerment techniques into a spectrum of evidence-based approaches tailored to suit each client's needs.
Treatment is primarily focused on empowering clients with new cognitive perspectives, conflict management, self-reconditioning and behavior modification for mood disorders, substance misuse and addictive behaviors. Clients are encouraged to be proactive in therapy to build upon personal strengths; to develop new skills; an informed knowledge base (knowledge is power); to gain a greater sense of autonomy.
Scott works well with clients who seek positive change and personal empowerment in their lives; his specialities include Addictions, Anxiety, OCD, Trauma and PTSD treatments. He develops diverse treatment approaches utilizing empirical research findings to attain successful outcomes for adults, adolescents and couples.
Prior to establishing his private practice, he was educated at UC Berkeley; New York University; Harvard University.
Scott is a published writer and advocate for mental health and addiction ; a former contractor for the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC); a recurring presenter at the NASW-New York City Addictions Institute. For details, see: www.Empower-sws.com.
- Addiction Medicine
- Alcohol Abuse
- Behavioral Science
- Community Mental Health
- Compulsive Gambling
- Drug Abuse
- Emotional Trauma
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sexual Addiction
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: New York State Licensed Clinical Social Worker - "R" privilege (LCSW-R)
MSW, New York University 1993
BA English Literature - UC Berkeley 1978
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: JurisPro Expert Witness Directory; NASW Addictions Institute Recurring Presenter - New York City; Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA); New York State Education Department (NYSED), National Association of Social Workers - New York, United States; International Association of Healthcare Professionals.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Addictions Institute, NASW-NYC
The Bottom Line Show
Public Service Radio Broadcast on "Addiction Recovery"
National Basketball Association (Employee Assistance Program)
City of New York (Employee Assistance Program)
Smithers Addiction Treatment Program
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center
Beth Israel Medical Center
St. Vincent's Hospital
The Washton Institute on Addictions
NASW-NYC CHAPTER 43RD NASW-NYC CHAPTER 43 ANNUAL ADDICTIONS INSTITUTE
JUNE 1, 2011
Thinking “Out of the Box”:
Responsible Use of Moderate Drinking Strategies to Enhance Their Motivation for Change
Moderator/Speakers: Arnold M. Washton, Ph.D., Recovery Options;
and Scott Stern, LCSW, CASAC – Recovery Options.
Moderation is a realistic and achievable goal for many problem drinkers who are not alcoholics. It can also open the door to treatment for
individuals with more severe problems who are unwilling to engage in traditional abstinence-based programs. A professionally guided attempt at moderation is often the best way for clients to learn experientially whether moderation is a realistic goal. Those unable to succeed at moderation often become more motivated to abstain. This workshop will describe how to responsibly use moderation strategies in office based practice to attract a broader range of clients into treatment and provide a reasonable starting place for individuals grappling with a wide range of drinking problems.
THE NASW-NYC ADDICTIONS COMMITTEE Presents THE 47th ANNUAL NASW-NYC ADDICTIONS INSTITUTE
JUNE 3, 2015
Empowering Addiction Treatment in the Changing Landscape of Health Care Reform: A Clinical Perspective
Presenter: Scott Stern, LCSW
Under new healthcare reform laws, the landscape of addiction treatment is changing as facilities and addiction professionals
scramble to meet new requirements of government regulatory agencies including OASAS, OMH, CMS and commercial and
THE NASW-NYC ADDICTIONS COMMITTEE Presents THE 48th ANNUAL NASW-NYC ADDICTIONS INSTITUTE
June 8, 2016
Transformational Chairwork; Using Psychotherapeutic Dialogues for Addictions and Trauma
Presenter: Scott Kellogg, PhD
Moderator: Scott Stern, LCSW
Drawing on the insights of a variety of Gestalt and integrative psychotherapists, this Transformational Chairwork presentation
will serve to introduce therapists to the art of Chairwork or psychotherapeutic dialogues in a clinically-useful manner. Focusing
on the treatment of interpersonal trauma and addictions to drugs and alcohol, this session will include a didactic presentation,
a demonstration, and an opportunity for participants to learn how to use the Decisional Balance as a foundation for
6/8/2016 11:15 AM - 1:15 PM
Presenter: Scott W. Stern, LCSW-R, Andrew Tatarsky, PhD
We will present an overview of the evolution of addiction treatment, resources, contemporary practices as well as being on the fringe of tremendous changes to come in the field. Drawing from both our personal and professional experiences, we will examine traditional approaches such as abstinence-only Twelve Step Facilitation (TSF), and new methodologies including Integrative Harm Reduction, Community Reinforcement Approach and Family Training (CRAFT), Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) and Moderation Management (MM). We will also discuss best practices for Substance Use Disorders and other addictive behaviors. This is intended to be an advanced, interactive workshop for seasoned professionals, but all are welcome to attend.
6/8/2016 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Presenter: Scott Kellogg, PhD, Scott Stern, LCSW-R
Drawing on the clinical wisdom of a variety of Gestalt and integrative psychotherapists, Transformational Chairwork Training is designed to introduce therapists to the art of Chairwork or psychotherapeutic dialogues in a clinically-useful manner. Focusing on the treatment of interpersonal trauma and addictions to drugs and alcohol, this workshop will include a didactic presentation, a demonstration, and an opportunity for participants to learn how to use the Decisional Balance assessment as a foundation for dialogue work.
Featured in The Guardian "'I was fresh meat': how AA meetings push some women into harmful dating" by Darlena Cunha
Featured on WGCH "The Bottom Line: Addiction Expert, Scott W. Stern, Interviewed by CBS News Correspondent, Dr. Max Gomez
and host, Sarah Hiner About Our Growing Crisis of Prescription Drug Addiction in America"
Featured in "Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment and How to Get Help That Works" by Anne Fletcher, New York Times Best Selling Author, Health and Medical Writer
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 2.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Addictions, PTSD, Mental Health.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Several.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: N/A
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Approximately 10 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting; reviewing documents; providing deposition testimony; testimony at trial; assessments; clinical case management.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: To be determined.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: To be determined.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses, supplies and other related costs.
Available Upon Request