Dr. Adhia is a board-certified General and Forensic Psychiatrist who provides inpatient care to Death Row, Ad Seg and other offenders with Impulse Disorders in a psychiatric prison unit in the Houston area. He also provides outpatient care to the Polunsky Death Row Unit. He is an Assistant Professor at University of Texas Medical Branch and enjoys teaching medical students forensic psychiatry. He has assisted attorneys nationwide with criminal and civil cases. He regularly testifies in the Fort Bend County Court in Texas. In his spare-time, he performs pro-bono Human Trafficking and other evaluations for the Physicians of Human Rights.
He is able to assist attorneys, courts, insurance companies and other agencies with evaluations, advocacy, consulting, interrogatory preparation, second opinion, IME (independent medical exam), and records review in a wide variety of cases. His unique expertise and experience would particularly be of interest to attorneys in correctional cases, Intellectual Developmental Disorders (formerly referred to as Mental Retardation), PTSD, malingering, Competency to Stand Trial and psychiatric malpractice. He is adept at applying the clinical aspects of a case to the relevant law. He thrives under contentious cross-examination and finds complex cases to be intellectually stimulating.
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol Abuse
- Drug Abuse
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- Sexual Abuse
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Licensure:
Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, Full Medical License – Q0720
Board Certified in Psychiatry by the ABPN – Certificate #67625
With Added Qualifications in Forensic Psychiatry by the ABPN – Certificate #2127
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Academic Experience:
I am currently an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UTMB and train medical students. In my previous job, I supervised psychiatry residents in a forensic unit and taught medical students.
1) Clinical Decision Making - Non-emergency Compelled Medications, Poster, 9/19/17, 6th International Conference on Forensic Research & Technology, Houston, TX
2) Treatment Resistant Depression Grand Rounds, University of Texas Health Science
Center, 2012, Houston Texas
3) Psychiatry 101 Lecture, Willamette University College of Law, 3/2014, Salem Oregon
Introduction to Forensic Psychiatry Lecture, Willamette University College of
Law, 3/2014, Salem Oregon
4) Forensic Psychiatry: An Introduction Resident Lecture, University of Texas Health
Science Center, May 2015, Houston Texas
5) Civil Forensic Psychiatry Resident Lecture, University of Texas Health Science Center, May 2015, Houston Texas
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 50+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Psychiatric Malpractice
Stress of Pre-Imminent Death
Competency to Stand Trial
Competency to be Deported
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20%
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Have testified in court over five times in 2016-2017 at the Fort Bend County Court in Texas. Have testified in an Immigration Court. Have testified in Oregon.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 10+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 10+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: since 2013
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Will provide rates upon request.
1) Lynn Messer, P.C.
Van Stean Messer Attorneys At Law
Competency to Stand Trial
2) Feroz Merchant
The Merchant Law Firm, P.C.
Competency to Stand Trial,
3) Shiva Pal Gill,
Shiva Gill PC
Competency to be Deported (713) 333-8370
4) UA Piccolo Lewis
The Lewis Law Group, PLLC
Psychiatric Malpractice (Standard of Care)
5) Laura Porter
Tom Rhodes Law Firm, P.C.
Psychiatric Malpractice (Medication Error)
6) Joel Holt
Joel Holt Esq. P.C.
Stress of Pre-Emminent Death & Grief