Ron Bertone provides technical investigation and expert analysis on cases that include Professional Liability issues, evaluating compliance with the applicable standard of care, water intrusion at a building envelope, code compliant construction, and other building or professional service claims.
For almost 40 years Ron was involved in all phases of new construction and renovation for a variety of healthcare projects including hospital renovations, skilled nursing facilities, Surgi-Centers, MRI and CT suites, facilities for mentally and physically challenged children and adults, and assisted living residences. This project work included, but was not restricted to, fire and life safety upgrades with fire sprinkler systems and egress studies, code analysis, and Fire Safety Evaluation Studies (FSES) for Federal, State, Municipal and Private clients
Most recently, as President of Bertone Associates for the past 20 years, he provided design and construction expertise in varied architectural building types including retail and commercial space, restaurants, animal shelters, and emergency services facilities.
Ron has provided government testimony to the New York City Council, New Jersey State Assembly, New Jersey Senate, and to the U.S. Congress. He is a Registered Architect in seven states and his professional affiliations and honors are numerous. Ron is the former National Vice President of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), and is a former member of the Board of Directors of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Architects, and was recognized as a Distinguished Alumnus from the School of Architecture at Texas Tech University, where he graduated Cum Laude.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Architecture, Cum Laude
Licensed Architect in NY, NJ, CN, PA, MD, MT, FL
Fellow of the American Institute of Architects
Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Architects
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: AIA, NFPA, NCARB
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Health Care Association of NJ: Design of Skilled Nursing Facilities
National Geriatric Institute: Assisted Living Facility Design
American Institute of Architects Accessibility Conference: ADA Regulations
Lorman Seminars: Construction Codes
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: More than 100
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Architecture, Professional Liability, Standard of Care for A/E, Building Construction, Building Codes
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Varies
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Varies
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Over 10 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, Site Inspections, Analysis, Reports, Testimony
Please call and individual, case specific, references will be furnished for both plaintiff and defense case work. Thank you.