Mr. Roland Brown is a Transportation Consultant with over thirty-five years of experience in the trucking and motor fleet industry. He has served in an advisory position to several manufacturing companies who operate private fleets of vehicles and to several medium-sized trucking companies, common and contract, specialized commodities and general commodities.
His areas of expertise include Trucking management, Truck Safety and Personnel, Drivers qualifications, Truck driver hiring, training and supervising, Truck accident investigation, Truck accident prevention, Federal DOT Regulation Compliance, State DOT Regulation Compliance, Load securement, Truck dispatch procedures and practices. He has also set up, implemented and supervised the activities of a property brokerage operation.
Additionally, Mr. Brown has served as a consultant and testifying expert witness to over 150 attorneys, both plaintiff and defendant, in over 20 states. He has testified in approximately 100 cases in both state and federal court.
- Accident Investigation
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Driver Behavior
- Transportation Safety
- Warehouse Operations
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Director of Safety by North American Transportation Management Institute
Certified Driver Trainer by North American Transportation Management Institute
Served as Instructor for National Safety Council in Defensive Driving Seminars & training
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Associate Member of Alabama Trucking Association
Associate Member of Florida Trucking Association
Member of American Trucking Association
Member of National Safety Council
Former member of Maryland Trucking Association
Former member of Virginia Trucking Association
Former member of Georgia Motor Truck Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Seminar director for North American Transportation Management Institute, in basic functions and responsibilities of trucking safety directors.
Seminar speaker for North American Transportation Management Institute (a training division of American Trucking Association) in driver hiring practices, training of drivers, compliance with DOT regulations and state regulations
Seminar speaker for National Safety Counsil in accident prevention and advanced loss prevention programs
Speaker at various seminars sponsored by state trucking associations, in the areas of driver selection, hiring, supervising, disciplining and re-training.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 150 times
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Motor fleet safety programs, to determine if the programs meet ordinary and custom practices within the trucking industry. Compliance issues with Federal and State DOT regulations, driver recruiting, hiring, training, supervising and retention.
Determine if drivers did all normally possible to avoid an accident. Was defensive driving programs in place with employers, and, if so, were these policies being followed. Cargo securement regulations and driver responsibilities in loading/unloading of cargo, careful, safe and prudent practices of commercial motor vehicle operators, proper accident investigation by employers after an accident and remedial measures taken by employers of professional commercial motor vehicle operators.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 60% for plaintiffs
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 40% for defendants
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 150 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: February 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately 10 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approximately 15 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1981
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting to attorneys and usually that leads to a testifying expert witness
Consult with manufacturers of products who are required, by the nature of the products or customer service needs, are required to operate commercial motor vehicles. I consult in setting up, implementing, training personnel and re-visiting to do periodic audits, assuring the programs I have developed are being carried out. I also do site inspections for OSHA compliance and for insurance companies underwriting departments in anticipation of issuing insurance coverage on a potential insurance client.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: As of 2019, $200.00 per hour for consulting, research and study
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $200.00 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $250.00 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250.00 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: For driving travel or flight time, I charge $125.00 per hour only for the airline flight time - no charge for "lay-overs" or "connecting flights." I charge $.48 per mile for travel to depositions or trial, if I drive and the same in driving for site inspections or for visiting companies with whom I will consult.
Included in my CV