30+ years of operational and consulting experience in:
• Shopping centers, Multi-family , Light industrial,
• Investment Analysis
• Property Management, Due Diligence, Lease Analysis, Tenant-Landlord relations
• Downtown & Neighborhood Revitalization
• Ethnic Markets.
Add to this experience a Ph.D. from UCLA in Urban Planning (2003) and you have in Rodino Associates a highly effective resource for litigation involving real estate investment issues. In supporting your efforts and those of your clients I bring focused research, insightful analyses, the wisdom of practical experience, and the presentation skills of an accomplished public speaker.
I look forward to working with you and your clients.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Real Estate
- Eminent Domain
- Land Use & Zoning
- Property Management
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Valuation
- Residential Real Estate
- Retail Real Estate
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D. in Urban Planning, UCLA . Specialization is Urban Revitalization - 2003.
Dissertation Topic: Public-Private Partnerships in Retail Development in the Inner-City
Ph.D. studies Politics and International Relations, New York University (no degree)
M.A. Government & Politics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
B.S. Mathematics, Manhattan College, New York City
Real Estate Broker - California Lic #00682806
Real Estate Broker - Pennsylvania Lic # SB065503
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Urban Land Institute
Santa Barbara County Bar Association - affiliate member
Chamber of Business and Industry of Centre County (PA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: • UCLA Faculty in Urban Planning – Lecturer Real Estate Development, Financing and Market Research 2004-2008. Taught full quarter courses to graduate planning, architcture and business students.
Chair of “Impact of Marcellus Shale Play on Pennsylvania Communities”, Pennsylvania Downtown Center Conference, September 8, 2011, Scranton, PA
Public-Private Partnership Conference on Urban Development – Created, directed and moderated UCLA Conference, 4/17/08; Awarded “Most Valuable Alumnus 2008”, UCLA Dept. of Urban Planning
Chair and Key Presenter: “Marketing to Growth – Asian and Latino Markets in Southern California” Southern California Marketing Director's Association, October 19, 2006
Program Chair and Audience Leader, ULI Urban Marketplace 2004: Ethnic Retailing
Southern California Marketing Director's Association; "How to Become an Expert in Marketing to the Latino Consumer"; August 20, 2003.
ICSC San Fernando Valley Idea Exchange; "The Latino Retail Market: Past, Present and Future", November 15, 2002.
Smart Growth Lecturer to the Alliance Conference of the International Council of Shopping Centers, November 15, 2000.
Urban Land Institute/University of Southern California Lusk Center for Real Estate Development; REAL ESTATE TRENDS CONFERENCE; Beverly Hills, CA Jan. 27, 1998.
"Hispanic Retail Market in Southern California: Trends and Opportunities" International Council of Shopping Centers, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CONFERENCE, 'Anaheim, CA; Nov. 3, 1994; "Retailing to Ethnic Markets"
International Downtown Association, ANNUAL CONFERENCE, Seattle, WA.
Sept. 18, 1994; "Downtown Revitalization and the Latino Populations of America"
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 10
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Real estate investment litigations involving shopping centers and industrial properties.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 67%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 33%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 4
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: June 6, 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 6
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 10
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, site inspections, research, testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $450
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Local travel in southern California is billed at $175 per hour plus $0.65 per mile if by auto. Approved long distance travel is billed at cost + $175 per hour. All other approved out-of-pocket expenses are billed at cost.
Barry L. Cohen
Barry L. Cohen & Associates
16130 Ventura Blvd, Ste 140
Encino, CA 91436
Kang/Spanos Attorneys at Law
120 Vantis, Ste 535
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656