Richard J. Long, P.E. is Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Long International, a Colorado-based construction claims and project management consulting firm that focuses its practice on owners, engineering and construction firms, and contractors performing petroleum refining, petrochemical, oil and gas, power/cogeneration, mineral processing, industrial, building, and infrastructure projects worldwide. Mr. Long has over 40 years of U.S. and international consulting experience involving construction contract disputes analysis and resolution, arbitration/litigation support and expert testimony, project management, engineering/construction management, cost and schedule control, and process engineering. As an internationally recognized expert in the analysis and resolution of complex construction disputes for 30 years, Mr. Long has served as the lead expert on over 300 projects having claims ranging in size from US$100,000 to over US$2 billion. He has presented and published numerous articles on the subjects of claims analysis, entitlement issues, CPM schedule and damages analyses, cumulative impact claims, and claims prevention.
The mission of Long International is both to resolve and prevent problems that negatively affect the success of engineering and construction projects. Long International professionals have extensive U.S. and international experience on large, complex, grass roots, revamp, and reconstruction projects incorporating conventional-phased, fast-track, or design-build concepts. Long International professionals include chemical, mechanical, civil, electrical, and mining engineers with advanced degrees, professional engineering licenses, construction management, and MBA degrees. Key personnel have over 25 years of experience working for private and public owners, large engineering and construction companies, mechanical and electrical contractors, and construction consulting firms. This experience encompasses hundreds of projects worldwide ranging in cost from several million to hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars. The company assigns senior consultants with extensive engineering and construction experience to perform the analyses and testify in mediation, arbitration, litigation, or other ADR forums, if resolution through negotiation is not achieved.
Because its professionals have many years of engineering, project/construction management, contract administration, and project controls experience prior to establishing their consulting careers, Long International has the qualifications, capability, know-how, and credibility to properly analyze problems, establish cause-effect relationships, and develop defensible and persuasive opinions relative to the responsibility for problems and resulting schedule delays, productivity loss, and cost overruns. This expertise also provides clients with the knowledge to properly manage and control the scope, quality, cost, schedule, estimating, and contract administration aspects of their projects and prevent/mitigate problems that may arise.
Long International is proud of the reputation that it has earned for high-quality work products and cost-effective results.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Chemical Engineering
- Construction Damages
- Construction Insurance
- Construction Safety
- Demonstrative Evidence/Exhibits
- Design Engineering
- Fire Insurance
- Forensic Accounting
- Forensic Engineering
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Lost Profits
- Mechanical Engineering
- Oil & Gas
- Petroleum Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Real Estate Valuation
- Scheduling Delay & Analysis
- Water/Sewage Treatment Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: EDUCATION
M.S., Chemical and Petroleum Refining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 1974
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1970
Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado (No. 25050)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Project Management Institute
Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering International
Society of Construction Law
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: TEACHING AND SEMINARS
Honorarium Instructor, University of Colorado at Denver, Masters of Engineering and Engineering Management, “Project Controls and Scheduling,” 2001.
Instructor, University of Houston, Master of Engineering, “Claims Management,” 2003.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert for over 300 projects
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Damages
Loss of productivity
Engineering standard practices
Assessment of project management performance
Technical assessment of the validity of change orders
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50 percent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50 percent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 10 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2009
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: In excess of 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Construction claims consulting, expert witness testimony, schedule delay analysis, damages analysis, loss of productivity analysis, insurance claims analysis, schedule assurance services, entitlement analysis, and claims prevention training
- Acceleration Claims on Engineering and Construction Projects
- As-Built But-For Schedule Delay Analysis
- Construction Claims for Variation in Quantity
- The Doctrine of Unjust Enrichment
- Typical Problems Leading to Delays Cost Overruns and Claims
- Why Claims Occur - The Red Flags
- Construction Claims Prevention
- Cumulative Impact & Other Disruption Claims in Construction
- Implementing Time Impact Analyses on Large Complex Projects
- Evaluation of Changes in Process Plants Projects
- Construction Claims Analysis Checklist
- Analysis of Concurrent Delay on Construction Claims
References for Richard J. Long
R. Brooks Pitchie
Eastman Chemical Company
100 N. Eastman Road
Kingsport, TN 37660
White & Case LLP
19, Place Vendôme
Tel: + 33 1 55 04 15 04
Steven K. Champlin
Dorsey & Whitney
220 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-1498
6001 Bolinger Canyon Road
San Ramon, CA 94583-2324
White & Case
5 Old Broad Street
London EC2N 1DW, England
Telephone: + 44 (20) 7532 1820
London EC2A 2HS
44 20 7466 2445
Thomas A. Loftis
ExxonMobil Development Company
17001 Northchase Drive
Houston, TX 77060