Long International provides expert engineering and construction claims analysis and expert testimony; delay, disruption, and cumulative impact claims analysis; project management consulting; and insurance claims analysis services to the engineering and construction industry worldwide. Founded by Richard J. Long, P.E., a chemical engineer with over 40 years of experience, our primary focus is on petroleum refining, petrochemical, chemical, oil and gas production, mining/mineral processing, power, cogeneration, infrastructure and building projects. We have prepared expert reports and testified in U.S. and international arbitration and litigation. For over 15 years, Long International has served clients and projects located in over 40 countries spanning six continents. Based in Colorado, we also have offices in Orlando, Florida; Houston, Texas; and Atlanta, Georgia; Washington, D.C. area; Middle East; and in Europe.
We provide the following areas of expertise:
-Schedule Delay Analysis, Time Extensions Entitlement, Liquidated Damages, and Compensable Delay Assessments
-Disruption/Loss of Productivity Analysis
-Technical Assessment of Change Order Entitlement
-Assessment of Project Management Performance
-Quantification of Direct and Indirect Damages
-Business Interruption/ Advanced Loss of Profits Insurance Claims Analysis
-Schedule Assurance Analysis
-Assessment of Engineering Standard of Care
-Assessment of Defective Construction
-Assessment of Problems Associated with Start-up and Commissioning of Process Plants
-Distressed Project Analysis (Financial and Technical Performance Assessments)
-Assessment of Damages due to Defective Products from Construction Projects
Our mission is to resolve and prevent problems that negatively affect the success of engineering and construction projects. Because we have many years of engineering, project/construction management, contract administration, and project controls experience prior to establishing our consulting careers, we have the qualifications, capability, know how, and credibility to properly analyze problems and disputes, establish cause-effect relationships, and develop defensible and persuasive opinions relative to the responsibility for problems and resulting schedule delays and cost overruns. This expertise also provides our clients with the knowledge to properly manage and control the scope, quality, cost, schedule, and contract administration aspects of their projects and prevent/mitigate problems that may arise.
Our staff of over 30 professionals have extensive U.S. and international experience on large, complex, grass roots, revamp, and reconstruction projects incorporating conventional-phased, fast-track, or EPC turnkey concepts. Long International’s consultants include chemical, mining, civil, mechanical, and electrical engineers and construction management professionals with advanced degrees, professional engineering licenses, and project management professional certifications. Our key personnel have over 30 years of experience working for major oil and chemical companies, manufacturing companies, power generation companies, public owners, large international engineering and construction companies, mechanical and electrical contractors, and construction consulting firms. This experience encompasses hundreds of projects worldwide ranging in cost from several million to hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars. We assign senior-level consultants with extensive engineering and construction experience to perform the analyses and testify in mediation, arbitration, litigation, or other ADR forums if resolution through negotiation is not achieved.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Chemical Engineering
- Construction Damages
- Construction Insurance
- Construction Safety
- Demonstrative Evidence/Exhibits
- Design Engineering
- Fire Insurance
- Forensic Accounting
- Forensic Engineering
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Lost Profits
- Mechanical Engineering
- Oil & Gas
- Petroleum Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Real Estate Valuation
- Water/Sewage Treatment Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: EDUCATION
M.S., Chemical and Petroleum Refining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 1974
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1970
Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado (No. 25050)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Project Management Institute
Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering International
Society of Construction Law
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: TEACHING AND SEMINARS
Honorarium Instructor, University of Colorado at Denver, Masters of Engineering and Engineering Management, “Project Controls and Scheduling,” 2001.
Instructor, University of Houston, Master of Engineering, “Claims Management,” 2003.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert in over 300 projects.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: schedule delay/disruption; loss of productivity; damages; assessment of project management performance; technical assessment of the validity of change orders; engineering standard practices
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: approximately 50 percent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50 percent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 10 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2009
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: In excess of 5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 29 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Construction Claims Consulting and expert witness testimony, schedule delay analysis, damages analysis, loss of productivity analysis, insurance claims analysis, schedule assurance services, claims prevention training
References for Richard J. Long
R. Brooks Pitchie
Eastman Chemical Company
100 N. Eastman Road
Kingsport, TN 37660
White & Case LLP
19, Place Vendôme
Tel: + 33 1 55 04 15 04
Steven K. Champlin
Dorsey & Whitney
220 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-1498
6001 Bolinger Canyon Road
San Ramon, CA 94583-2324
White & Case
5 Old Broad Street
London EC2N 1DW, England
Telephone: + 44 (20) 7532 1820
London EC2A 2HS
44 20 7466 2445
Thomas A. Loftis
ExxonMobil Development Company
17001 Northchase Drive
Houston, TX 77060