Rich is an expert in Highway and Municipal Engineering. He provides investigations, reports, and testimony in matters related to highway and municipal infrastructure design, construction, operations and maintenance.
During his 27 years with the New Jersey Department of Transportation, Rich was responsible for operations and maintenance of the state roadway system in a Region of New Jersey. His responsibilities included winter maintenance (snow and ice control), reconstruction (milling, paving, etc), and maintenance projects. Rich managed engineering, construction, permits, and equipment maintenance units within NJDOT. He was the Resident Engineer on numerous bridge maintenance and roadway construction projects. He also created NJDOT’s Dam Safety Section.
For 6 years Rich was the Director of Public Works for a Township in New Jersey. His work there included managing the construction, operations and maintenance of the Township’s roads, parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, buildings and ecological facility. He directed all municipal public works activities such as winter maintenance (snow and ice control), milling and paving, permits, leaf collection, solid waste collection and recycling, etc.
Rich is a graduate of the New Jersey Institute of Technology with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. He is a licensed Professional Engineer, licensed Professional Planner, Certified Public Works Manager and Certified Public Manager.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Transportation Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Licensed Professional Engineer, Licensed Professional Planner, Certified Public Works Manager, Certified Public Manager, Certified Public Works Leadership Fellow, OSHA certified.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Transportation Research Board Winter Maintenance Committee, Transportation Research Board Surface Transportation Weather Committee, Transportation Research Board Corrosion Committee and American Public Works Winter Maintenance Committee. I am also a member of the American Public Works Association (APWA), the Chapter Secretary for New Jersey and the APWA South Jersey Branch Vice President.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I instruct attendees of the University of Wisconsin's Winter Maintenance Management Workshop two times per year. I have been doing this since the early 1990's. I also make presentations for Rutger's University and the APWA annually on winter maintenance topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: As of 12/15/2012- about 40.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Snow and ice control, milling and resurfacing of roadways, highway defects such as potholes, trip and fall cases, bridge maintenance, workzone safety, traffic safety, bucket truck operation, drainage, etc.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: About 12.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 2012.
References upon request.