Peter Howell, PE, CSP, CFEI is a chemical engineer with almost 50 years of experience in the chemical industry and accident investigation. Held responsible positions in Research and Development, Operations, Maintenance, Engineering and Plant Management in Chemical production facilities. He knows the OSHA and EPA regulations and engineering standards required to operate a chemical facility, refinery, pulp & paper mill or similar facility in a safe and responsible manner. Failure to comply with these regulations and standards is usually the root cause of the fire, explosion or release of toxic chemicals incident.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Design Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Pulp & Paper Industry
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BS Chemical Engineering
Registered Professional Engineer in Texas and West Virginia
Certified Safety Professional
Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Institute of Chemical Engineers
American Society of Safety Engineers
American Chemical Society
Nation Fire Protection Association
National Association of Fire Investigators
Reactive Chemicals Roundtable
Local Emergency Planning Committee
Design Institute For Emergency Relief Systems (DIERS)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Process Safety Management - Teaching
Accident investigation - Teaching
Reactive Chemical Hazards - Speaking
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 146
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: OSHA's Process Safety Management regulation, EPA's Chemical Accident Prevention and Risk Management Plan regulation, Requirements and application of Recognized and Generally Accepted Good Engineering Practices, Chemical plant fire, explosion or toxic material release. Refinery fire, explosion or toxic chemical release. Pulp and paper release of hazardous energy (Lockout/Tagout and Confined Space) and toxic chemical release. Confined space entry and exposure to toxic vapors. Pyrophoric materials fires. Paper mill explosion. Cement plant hazardous waste fire.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 95%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 5%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 35
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: November 14, 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Every time I have been asked to testify.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 15
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 18
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Determination of the root causes of the incident, site inspections, determination of applicable regulations and Recognized and Generally Acceptable Good Engineering Practices, expert reports, expert witness, Assist the attorney in presenting the facts to the jury in a manner that they will understand.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 300
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Work which requires travel, other than local travel, is billed at $3,600 per day. No charge for normal office expenses such as copies, telephone, mail. Outside copy services, FedEx delivery is billed at cost. Travel expenses at cost.
Any of the attorneys shown in my resume, including:
Williams Kherkher Hart and Boundas
8441 Gulf Freeway, Suite 600
Houston, Texas 77017
800 Commerce Street
Houston, TX 77002-1776
The Buzbee Law Firm
Houston, TX 77002