I am an expert in the field of medical care as it pertains to standards of care and the review of medical records. I have a history of more than 40 years in nursing, and more than 20 years of those years has been as an experienced witness. I have done every aspect of an experts work including but not limited to: meditations, arbitration's, closed hearings, and trials with and without a jury. The nature of these cases have been med malpractice from birth, standards of care (both medical and psychological), standards of care and facility placement for Seniors and financial and physical abuse of the elderly. Cases have also both criminal and civil, and defense as well as plaintiff.
In addition to my service as an expert witness, I have also worked with attorneys as a consultant to support their efforts in presenting the best case possible. I have been instrumental in the selection of physician's as second opinion / care providers and the development of a general long term care strategy.
To date, my work as an expert has been by law firms locating me outside of an expert witness directed site, for cases as far west as Texas. In some matters the court themselves have asked for my involvement for specific cases. My last settled case was awarded over 5 million dollars while in mediation, within a court system that routinely finds for much lower amounts.
As a witness, attorneys have often complemented my presentation and the handling of cross examination. I do have attorney names and numbers should you require references.
Areas of Expertise
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Child Custody
- Community Mental Health
- Hospital Security
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Medical Records
- Medical Valuation
- Nursing Homes
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Risk Management
- Spousal Abuse
- Structured Settlements
- Undue Influence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education: RN and Behavioral Health (BS), Assessment and Evaluations (MS), Health Science (PhD)
Accreditation: CCM ( Case Management) , FAACM, ( a Fellow in Case Management), PGCM ( Professional Geriatric Care Manager), NCG ( National Certified Professional Guardian), MoCA ( certified in Dementia evaluation), ABDA ( certified board of Disability Analysts - diplomate status
Licensed: RN in PA and DE ( a license which is recognized for practice in any other state)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordinators
• National Guardianship Association
• National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers
• American Board of Certified Case Managers
• American Board of Disability Analysts
• International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals
• Pennsylvania Bar Institute Faculty Member
• Chester County Estate Planning Council
• Philadelphia Estate Planning Council
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: * Experienced as a nursing instructor for theoretical and practical aspects
* Teaching experienced RN's to become Case / Care Managers country wide and nursing standards that go with that practice.
* Numerous public / professional speaking experiences on various topics over the last 20 years ( Case Management, Abuse of the Elderly &
Disabled, Nursing Practices, and Working with Dementia and Head Injury) for groups usually of 50 -100 people
* Guest lecturer for CLE credits
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No, none of my accreditation have been investigated, suspended or removed
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: In the last 4 years appropriately 4 times.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: As a professional Guardian, as a Guardian Ad Litem, as an RN for nursing practices, med mal practices cases, criminal charges, disabled children with catastrophic injury,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: roughly 80%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: roughly 20%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: approximately 8 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: about 10 years ago
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: every time I have been put before the court, I have been accepted as an expert in my field
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: In the last 4 years about 6 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 21 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, site inspections ( in Guardianship) and deposition or testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Telephone consult for 30 minutes - no charge
Face to face meeting inclusive of travel - expenses and no charge for 30 minutes consult after 30 minutes $350/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350 hour to review documents and video along with associated actions
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500 per hour
cancellation fee with 2 days or less prior to scheduled testimony $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500 per hour ( $5000 for full day) Full day for out of town testimony
Less than 2 days prior to scheduled testimony $2000
3-7 days prior to scheduled testimony $1000
8 or more days prior to scheduled testimony - no charge
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All expenses incurred ( flights, food lodging) past through to you for out of town work
excess copy fees and postage when incurred
Justin Tomevi, Esq.
100 East Main St.
York, PA 17401
Donald L. Reinhart, Esq.
3015 Eastern Blvd.
York, PA 17402
Thomas W. Hall Esq.
415 North Duke St
Lancaster PA 19602