Olie R. Jolstad has worked in the property & casualty insurance industry for more than 35 years and has been retained as an expert witness in over 150 cases. He has been qualified in state and federal courts as an expert on customs, practices, and standards in the insurance industry, claims handling practices, and insurance agent and broker operations, duties, and standard of care.
Areas of Expertise
- Bad Faith
- Business/Employment Insurance
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Liability Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Risk Management
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: SCLA
Portland State University
Bachelor of Science in Administration of Justice
Essentials of Risk Management, Essentials of Risk Control, and Essentials of Risk Financing 1990-1993
American Educational Institute
Senior Claim Law Associate (SCLA) Professional Designation – October 2005
Casualty Claim Law
Property Claim Law
Workers’ Compensation Claim Law
Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Law
Avoiding Bad Faith and Civil Liability in Handling Suspicious Claims
The American College of Forensic Examiners Institute
Life Fellow of the American Board of Forensic Examiners (FABFE) – June 2011
Diplomate of the American Board of Forensic Examiners (DABFE) – January 2008
Certified Forensic Consultant (CFC) Professional Designation – August 2006
American Management Association
Establishing an Effective Claims Management Program 1990
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Committees
*Education Committee – Oregon Self-Insurers Association 1983-1989
*Education Committee – Oregon Workers’ Compensation Claims Association 1984-1986
*Oregon Self-Insurers Association – “Comparisons and Contrasts – The City of Portland Fire and Police Disability Pension Program and the Oregon Workers’ Compensation System” (1988)
*City Club of Portland, Oregon – “The Politics Behind the Fire and Police Pension Task Force” (1989)
*Arizona Workers’ Compensation Claims Association – “Designing a Claims Management Program” (1991)
*Arizona Workers’ Compensation Claims Association – “Experience Rating Analysis” (1992)
*Texas Public Risk Insurance Management Association – “GASB 10 and Actuarial Analysis” (1995)
*West Texas Counties Association – “Public Entity Claims Management Practices” (1995)
*West Texas Counties Association – “The Purpose of Actuarial Analysis and Funding for Losses” (1996)
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: On over 150 cases
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over the span of his career, Mr. Jolstad has worked with various types of civil litigation involving coverage disputes, claims handling practices, bad faith, unfair and deceptive practices, duties and standards of care regarding the procurement of insurance. In addition, he has worked on forensic insurance policy reconstruction projects on behalf of policyholders.
Areas of skill, knowledge, and expertise include coverage disputes, unfair and deceptive claims claim settlement acts and practices concerning general liability, property, commercial auto, personal lines, business interruption, builders’ risk, excess and umbrella liability, workers’ compensation, loss sensitive rating plans, professional liability, errors and omissions, directors and officers, third-party claims administration, and Lloyd’s of London coverage and analysis.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 55%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 45%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Deposed over 70 times.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Fifteen times
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Twenty times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Litigation Support
Commercial Insurance/Claims Handling
Insurance Policy Reconstruction
References upon request.