Award winning, industrial hygiene and safety expert with over 25 years of broad international experience practicing, teaching and authoring to anticipate, recognize, evaluate, control and prevent workplace health and safety hazards in high hazard industries. Interviewed on ABC Good Morning America program and ABC News regarding the Covid / SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus Pandemic and indoor air quality solutions as a recognized expert. Authored multiple articles for peer-reviewed publications regarding industrial hygiene and facility pandemic occupancy.
Extensive expertise in pandemic, Covid-19 response management including chemical and non-chemical disinfectant exposure evaluation and control applications.
Domestically and internationally recognized for leadership service to the IH profession as a Chair and/or Director for the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the American Board of Industrial Hygiene, the Occupational Hygiene Training Association and the Joint Industrial Hygiene Ethics Education Boards of Directors and Committees.
Currently Chair of the COHSE External Advisory Board at the University of Michigan Graduate School of Public Health, while continuing to practice industrial hygiene program management as an experienced (15+ years) independent consultant, subject matter expert, and sought-after international expert lecturer.
• Covid-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic recognition, evaluation and control programs
• Biohazard assessment & pandemic chemical & non-chemical control programs
• Disinfectant exposure evaluation and controls
• Trained and experienced expert witnessing
• H&S policy and program development and audits
• Potent compound & high hazard exposure assessment & containment
• USP 800 conformance
• Hearing conservation program development and controls
• Explosive (UXO) hazardous waste operations program development
• Respiratory protection and fit testing programs
• All levels of occupational hygiene and safety training
- Accident Reconstruction
- Hazardous Materials
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Safety Engineering
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Walking & Working Surfaces
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Master of Public Health (MPH), Industrial Hygiene
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, Ann Arbor, MI
Bachelor of Science (BS), Medical Technology
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, East Lansing, MI
American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) Certification ID# 8512
Hazardous Materials Management (CHMM) Certification ID#13227
Ammunition and Explosives Certification Training (AMC-R350-4, ATEC-R 385-1, USAG-R 350-4)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Local, National and International Professional Advocacy
a) AIHA Executive Board of Directors – Treasurer-Elect – Current
b) ACGIH Member and Hazardous Bioaerosol Controls Committee Contributor 2020-Present
c) Co-Chair Board of Directors and Leadership - Global Occupational Hygiene Training Association (OHTA) and OHlearning.com 2007-2020
d) Coordinator/Author of the OHTA Pharmaceutical Training Module (In Progress)
e) Chair of the Board, University of Michigan School of Public Health External Advisory Board. 2015-present
f) Past Board of Directors for the American Industrial Hygiene Association 2015 – 2018
g) Past Executive Board Member of the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) 2006 – 2010. Founder of the ABIH Futures Committee to promote global IH initiatives.
h) Course Director of AIHA/University of Michigan Comprehensive IH Review 1998-2004
i) Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society – Local Section President, Board of Directors, Conference Planner and/or Member 1994-Present – Organized the first Counterterrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction course in the state after the 911 tragedy. Contributed to the organized effort for state title protection for the IH profession.
j) Alabama AIHA Local Section Board of Directors, Conference Planner and Member 2004-2010
k) Chicago AIHA Local Section Board of Directors, Conference Planner, and Member 2010- present
l) British Occupational Hygiene Society Member 2015-2017
m) Irish Occupational Hygiene Society Member 2015-2017
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professional Lectures and Audiences
a) Professional Ethics in Industrial Hygiene – University of Michigan Comprehensive IH Reviews, Chicago Local Section Meetings, AIHce Professional Development Courses, Seattle Local Section Meetings, Michigan Local Section Meeting, Alabama Local Section Meetings
b) IH Management Professional Development Courses – IOHA Conference, AIHce, University of Michigan Comprehensive IH Reviews, Alabama Local Section Meetings, Florida Local Section Meeting, Chicago Local Section Meetings, AbbVie EHS Conferences, Lafarge Holcim EHS Conferences
c) Growing the IH Profession – BOHS Conferences, Irish OH Society, AIHce, Pharmaceutical Safety Conferences, Pharma Forums, Chicago Local Section, Highly Potent Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Summits, AbbVie EHS Conferences
d) Risk Assessment and Control Banding – BOHS Conference, IOHA Conference, Florida Local Section, AIHce, Multiple Client Professional Development Courses
e) Personal Travel Safety – AIHce, AbbVie EHS Conference
f) OHTA W501 – Measurement of Hazardous Substances – AbbVie IH Training Programs
g) OHTA W506 – Ergonomics Essentials - AbbVie IH Training Programs
h) OHTA W507 – Control of Hazardous Substances - AbbVie IH Training Programs
i) IH Program Strategic Planning – AIHA Board of Director Sessions, OHTA Board of Director Sessions, Multiple Consulting Client Planning Sessions
j) Pharmaceutical Containment Professional Development Courses – Highly Potent Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Summits, Pharmaceutical Safety Group Meetings, Pharma Forum Meetings, Irish OH Society Conference, BOHS Conference, AbbVie EHS Conferences
Recent Publications Authored or Contributed To and National Public Interviews:
a) “Dealing with Malpractice Protecting against the Misuse of Professional Titles” by Nancy M. McClellan, March 2013.
b) “Moving Target Global Ethics in Industrial Hygiene Is a Continuous Process” by Nancy M. McClellan, June 2011.
c) “Occupational Health Professionals Urge Chemical Manufacturers to Protect the Health of their Workers” https://www.aiha.org/press/occupational-health-professionals-urge-chemical-manufacturers-to-protect-the-health-of-their-workers
d) AIHA and OHTA Sign Memorandum of Understanding https://synergist.aiha.org/201802-aiha-ohta-sign-mou
a) “Occupant Health Hinges On Indoor Air Quality”, by Deborah Hetrick and Nancy McClellan, December 14, 2020 Occupant Health Hinges On Indoor Air Quality In Buildings (facilityexecutive.com)
a) "Today's Value of the Occupational Health and Safety Professional in Chemical Manufacturing", pending publication
b) “Virus Countermeasures Drive Worker Safety” By Scott Jenkins | August 1, 2020 Virus Countermeasures Drive Worker Safety - Chemical Engineering | Page 1 (chemengonline.com)
a) “How air purifiers and cleaners may help keep you safer indoors from COVID-19” By Eden David, July 1, 2020 https://abcnews.go.com/Health/air-purifiers-cleaners-safer-indoors-covid-19/story?id=71520539
b) ABC Good Morning America Interview: “Experts Warn of Possible Risks With Indoor Gatherings for Holidays” – October 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7jSdSZZ7Y
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 15
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Industrial hygiene and occupational safety, facility pandemic conditions, Covid-19 control, occupational fatalities
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 4
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: June 2021
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 4
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 4
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 4
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, field/site investigation and chemical/biological/physical hazard exposure assessments, expert reports, depositions and testimony.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500 for a 10-hour day
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500 for a 10-hour day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel at GSA per diem rates
- Nancy McClellan, M.P.H., CIH, CHMM - CV Document
- Example Deposition in 2021
- Nancy M. McClellan on Good Morning America https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/news/story/air-purifiers-cleaners-safer-indoors-covid-19-71520539
- Nancy McClellan - Pandemic Resilience in Facilities - Chemical Engineering Magazine
- Nancy McClellan and ABM Industries Deb Hetrick- Indoor Air Quality and Pandemic Resilience in Facilities Article in Facilities Executive Magazine
- In-Flight v Stockbridge - Facility Pandemic Resilience and Rent Abatement
Available Upon Request