Michelle A. Copeland, President of Occupational Safety Resource Inc., is a practicing Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) with 30 years of experience in occupational safety and health. Ms. Copeland and her associates perform a variety of safety and industrial hygiene assessments and evaluations on behalf of trial attorneys throughout the United States. She serves as both consulting expert and testifying expert witness at the trial of complex occupational safety and health matters.
Ms. Copeland has provided litigation services to both defense and plaintiff's counsel, as well as to OSHA directly. She has testified in both civil and criminal cases related to:
OSHA compliance and worker training
Work-related personal injury or illness
Asbestos and mold exposure
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Construction Site
- Disaster Management
- Hazardous Materials
- Hotel, Food & Restaurant
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Labels & Warnings
- Ladders & Scaffolds
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Ramp & Stairs
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Walking & Working Surfaces
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Michelle Copeland, Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) since 1986
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Industrial Hygiene Association
American Society of Safety Engineers
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Crisis management training and drills
Confined space entry training and drills
Emergency response training and drills
Forklift driver (powered industrial truck) and safety training including hands-on
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
Industrial hygiene sampling
Quantitative vs. qualitative assessments
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Several dozen
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Chemical safety
Confined space entry
Slips, trips and falls
Forklift, mobile equipment, powered industrial truck
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 25-30% (once for OSHA)
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 70-75%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 15
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: January 28, 2009
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 8-10
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 8-10
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1991 -- more frequently since 2005
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consultation, training, site inspections, program audits, testing and written report, assistance with program design or design of standard operating procedures
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250/hour -- initial discussion not included and I will be very straightforward in how my expertise and/or opinion might relate to the case
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $250/hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250/hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel more than one hour each way $125/hour (max $1000 one way)
Expenses reasonable cost +10%
Airfare, lodging, rental vehicles pre-paid
References upon request.