Michael Pirrung was trained as a synthetic organic chemist via academic studies at UT-Austin, UC-Berkeley, and Columbia University. He has held faculty positions in Chemistry departments at Stanford, Duke, and now UC-Riverside (named Distinguished Professor in 2012), as well as the Pharmaceutical Sciences department at UC-Irvine. He also worked in industry at Affymax, and has extensive technical consulting experience with agrochemical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology companies. He holds over 40 US and international patents and has received many awards for his inventorship. The patent family based on his 1992 US patent 5,143,854 was in the top ten most cited from 1999-2004. His two decades-old expert witness practice has involved several subject areas: organic and peptide synthesis, medicinal chemistry, and nucleic acids. He is experienced in preparing declarations and expert reports, depositions, and testimony at trial in Federal court.
Areas of Expertise
- Intellectual Property
- Safety Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: University of Texas, Austin, 1975, B.A. in Chemistry with Highest Honors.
University of California, Berkeley, 1980, Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry (with C. H. Heathcock).
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Chemical Society.
American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Fellow, American Institute of Chemists (FAIC).
Fellow and Life Member, National Academy of Inventors (FNAI).
The Author’s Guild.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Extensive experience including lectures, depositions, and testimony, on technical topics in my areas of expertise.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Dozens
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Medicinal chemistry
Generic drug litigation
Methods of manufacture of drug substances
Nucleic acid synthesis
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: NA
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: NA
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: > 10
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December, 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: two
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: once
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: > 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 800
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 800
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: expenses if travel outside of southern California is required
Available Upon Request