MICHAEL D. KLEIN, PE, CHMM
Certified Hazardous Materials Expert - Manufacturing Processes & Procedures - Environmental Management Systems
Michael is a Civil Engineer (MSCE) with over 25 years of experience in the design, planning, and delivery of high-value projects for both the government and private sectors. He has operated water, waste water and industrial treatment systems and conducted and directed environmental investigations and hazardous waste remediation per the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Superfund requirements and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) closure requirements.
His experience in the management of hazardous materials was performed under the regulatory framework of environmental and hazardous materials management as administered by the Department of Energy (DOE), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT).
Having been certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP) and has performed construction claim and Critical Path Method (CPM) schedule analysis. Michael has served as Project Manager for environmental site assessments, assessment of vapor intrusion, Underground Storage Tank (UST) removals & assessments, development of remediation alternatives, and remediation and post remedial support of sites contaminated with hazardous materials.
As an engineer Michael developed remedial alternatives for the treatment of contaminated groundwater containing Non Aqueous Phase Liquids (NAPL) and the treatment and disposal of contaminated soil and sludge. The scope of work included project planning, community involvement, data acquisition, sample analysis and validation, data evaluation, treatability studies, remedial action design, capital and operating cost estimates, cost recovery and contribution, health and safety support, remedial action implementation, performance, and post remedial support.
His scientific experience and engineering education provides Michael a thorough understanding of the technical issues that often accompany the legal issues arising in the environmental regulatory arena.
Michael is a licensed professional engineer in AL, CO, GA, KY, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, SC, TX, TN, WI, and is certified by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying (NCEES). He is accredited by the Council of Engineering and Scientific Specialty Boards as a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM). He is Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety trained, and a member of the American Water Works Association (AWWA), the Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce Environmental Technical Committee.
For Michael’s full bio or CV, click the “Web Page” button above.
Areas of Expertise
- Analytical Testing Labs
- Building Codes
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Combustion Engineering
- Construction Damages
- Construction Site
- Design Engineering
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Toxicology
- Equipment & Machinery
- Facility Engineering
- Failure Analysis
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Food Processing Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Hydrology & Groundwater
- Industrial Design
- Industrial Engineering
- Labels & Warnings
- Lead Poisoning
- Machine Guarding
- Marine Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Paint & Coatings
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Professional Engineering
- Safety Engineering
- Safety Equipment
- Sanitary Engineering/Waste Management
- Warehouse Operations
- Water Utility
- Water/Sewage Treatment Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: I am a graduate of the State University of New York Maritime College and earned a Bachelors of Engineering (BE) in the fields of Marine and Ocean Engineering. I am also a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and earned a Master’s of Science (MS) in Civil Engineering. I have been granted the following licenses and certifications.
• Professional Engineer, National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
• Certified Hazardous Materials Manager Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (IHMM)
• Project Management Professional (PMP) Edit Project Management Institute (PMI)
• Industrial Wastewater Operator, Class A Edit Colorado Water and Wastewater Facility Operators Certification Board (WWFOCB)
• Wastewater Operator, Class D Colorado Water and Wastewater Facility Operators Certification Board (WWFOCB)
• Water Works Operator, Class D Colorado Water and Wastewater Facility Operators Certification Board (WWFOCB)
• 3rd Assistant Engineer, Unlimited, Steam and Motor Any Ocean Edit United States Coast Guard (USCG)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: I am currently active in the following professional and public policy committees.
• Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals (AHMP)
• American Water Works Association (AWWA)
• Water Environment Federation (WEF)
• South Carolina Chamber of Commerce Environmental Technical Committee
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I Developed and taught the college course “Introduction to Decommissioning and Dismantlement(D&D)”, SCI-191-001. The curriculum was taught during the spring and fall semesters of 1996. Classroom instruction was provided on the requirements and process for Decontamination and Dismantlement (D&D) of hazardous and radioactive equipment and facilities. Topics instructed included:
• Project preparation and planning;
• Developing a detailed decommissioning plan and strategy;
• Establishing a project baseline for costs and schedule management;
• Decommissioning and demobilization activities involving the removal and cleanup of contaminated
structures, equipment and materials, for both hazardous and radiological facilities;
• Dismantling and decontamination techniques;
• Waste minimization techniques;
• Industrial hygiene and radiation safety requirements and performance;
• Fire protection and site security;
• Post commissioning and environmental survey requirements and performance; and
• Solid, hazardous and radioactive waste management.
Kurt R. Weitendorf, Esq.
Roderick, Linton, and Belfance, LLP
15th Floor One Cascade Plaza
Akron, Ohio 44308
M. Caroline Lindsey, Esq.
Anderson Jones PLLC
1305 Navaho Drive
Raleigh, North Carolina 27609
Daniel Hunnicutt, Esq.
The Law Offices of Daniel Hunnicut
1320 4th Avenue
Conway, South Carolina 29528
Aaron J. Maassel, Esq.
Ferguson & Maassel, LLC
733 North Perry Street
Napoleon, Ohio 43545
Charles E. Fell, Jr., Esq.
6010 Brownsboro Park Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40207
Aaron Mizrahi, Esq.
The Wolf Law Firm LLC
1520 U.S. Highway 130
North Brunswick, New Jersey 08902
Stanley C. Bender, Esq.
Law Offices of Stanley C. Bender
707 Sixth Street
Portsmouth, Ohio 45662-0950
Stewart M. Leviss, Esq.
Berkowitz, Lichtstein, Kuritsky, Giasullo, & Gross, LLC
75 Livingston Avenue
Roseland, New Jersey 07068