Michael J. Fagel, PhD., CEM specializes in: Safety Training & Education, Occupational Safety & Health Assessments and Training, Emergency Plan, Preparedness & Exercises and Crisis Management, and Onsite Review & Assessment.
He has been involved with all phases of public safety and emergency response since the early 1970’s. His career has spanned decades in FEMA as well as Law Enforcement, Emergency Medical Services, Fire Rescue, Emergency Management, Occupational Safety & Health (OSHA). He has served the National Guard Bureau in helping to stand up the CERIAC Intelligence center in 2004, after having been deployed to the World Trade Center Attacks in 2001 for the US Department of Justice.
Dr. Fagel is a University Instructor at numerous institutions in their Graduate Programs in Public Policy specializing in Anti-Terrorism, Critical Infrastructure and Homeland Security. He teaches at Illinois Institute of Technology, Northern Illinois University and at Aurora University. He also has been working at the Argonne National Laboratory since 2004 in Homeland Security and Training. He has served as an elected and appointed official in public safety. Fagel is a member of the ASIS School Safety & Security Council.
His 3rd textbook, Crisis Management & Emergency Planning earned the ASIS Inaugural Book of the year award. His latest book, ‘Soft Targets & Crisis Management” was published in 2016 by CRC Press. He serves as a Subject Matter Expert and SME worldwide on Crisis Response and planning.
Dr. Fagel serves as an SME for the Chicago firm of Hillard Heintze on Emergency Response and Planning and as a member of the ASIS School-Safety & Security Council.
Having the right expert witness on your side can influence the outcome of your case. Call us at (630) 907-2020 to further discuss our experience and qualifications for safety-related litigation support, including specialization in OSHA Compliance, Threat Assessments, Accident Investigation, and Loss Control.
Mobil: 630 234 6612
Office: 630 907 2020
- Accident Investigation
- Crime Foreseeability
- Criminal Law
- Disaster Management
- Emergency Communications & 911
- Emergency Medical Services
- Food Processing Engineering
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Law Enforcement
- Risk Management
- School Safety
- School Security
- Workplace Violence
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PhD, CHCM, CEM, WSO-CSE, WSO-CSSD, WSO-CGSO, NFPA 3000
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Safety Council, Winner of Distinguished Service to Safety Award, 2001 American Society of Safety Engineers, National Fire Protection Association, World Safety Organization, International Association of Emergency Managers
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Have delivered over 600 Lectures across North America and overseas on Safety, Disaster Management and Emergency Response
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40 Plus for case review, over 60 clients for work indeveloping safety plans, audits and reviews NOT associated with litigation
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Industrial Safety
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 25 Plus
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: August 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Numerous
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Numerous
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 25 plus
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Witness, Consulting, Audits, case review, onsite inspections, training, plan development
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 2020 rates are an average of $350.00 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 2020 rates $ 350 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Hourly rates x 2, average $700.00 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Hourly Rate x 2, average $700.00 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses billed at 105%,travel rates` per hour established per case, Incidental, photo, postage at cost
Per Diem charged per GSA rates for Locale
Craig, Terril & Hale
P O Box 1979
Lubbock, TX 79408
806 744 3232
Dombroff & Gilmore
55 W Wacker Drive
Frank J. Lagrou, Esq.
Merry, Farnen & Ryan
300 Maple Park Blvd. # 301
St. Clair Shores, MI 48081
John C. Lindsey, Esq.
Fee, Smith, Sharp & Vitullo LLP
Three Galleria Tower
Dallas, TX 75240
Yao O. Dinizulu, Esq.
Harris, Mitchell & Dinizulu, LLC
205 W. Randolph St., Suite 410
Chicago, IL 60606
Stacey L. Drentlaw
Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP
Plaza VII, Suite 3300
45 South Seventh Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-1609
Keith Henson, Esq
Paule,Camazine & Blumenthal,P.C
165 N. Meramec Avenue, 6th Floor
St. Louis, MO 63105-3789
Matthew C. Miner, Esq.
Hare Wynn Newell & Newton
200 West Vine Street Suite 700
Lexington, KY 40507