After over 30 years working as an independent agent, I began my own consulting business - LaPorte Consulting, LLC. I help insurance agencies all over the country address operational issues, providing assistance in:
* Improving efficiency, by eliminating redundancies and streamlining workflows
* Developing standards and procedures
* Addressing staffing issues
* Creating an internal loss control program to minimize E&O (Errors & Omissions) exposure
Since I visit insurance agencies all across the country, I have a strong knowledge of how things are done in the "agency world" both for sales and service of insurance products. This puts me in a great position to testify on the standard of care, since I know how agents perform and how they should perform. I am a strong resource for reviewing agency documents to determine what really happened, and oftentimes, what the agency is failing to share. For over 25 years I have been teaching insurance agents their duty and required standard of care, using industry guidelines, state specific standards and my own experience.
- Auto Insurance
- Fire Insurance
- Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Liability Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter) 1987
CIC (Certified Insurance Counselor) 1993
CPIA (Certified Professional Insurance Agent 2011
AINS (Associate in Insurance) 2018
Licensed property & casualty agent in the state of Michigan, Licensed Insurance Counselor (LIC) in the state of Michigan
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CPCU Society, member in good standing
AAIMCo (American Association of Insurance Management Consultants) currently serving as secretary
AIMS (American Insurance Marketing and Sales Society) member
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: National faculty for CIC (Certified Insurance Counselor) teaching classes in nearly every state for over 25 years.
Facilitator for CPIA (Certified Professional Insurance Agents) teaching classes in multiple states for nine years
Approved instructor for the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA) Errors and Omissions Loss control classes sponsored by Westport/Swiss Re for over 20 years, teaching and presenting country-wide
Instructor/facilitator for many continuing education classes in Michigan and other states focusing on a variety of topics including, Homeowners Insurance, Automobile Insurance, Errors and Omissions, Ethics, Policy Reading, and many other topics.
Frequently acting as guest speaker at insurance industry conventions, seminars and conferences.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 25
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Insurance agent's standard of care, insurance agent duties.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 15%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 85%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 3
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: August 18, 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Once
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 10 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, evaluating documentation & case related documents, writing reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $2,500 per diem
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $2,500 per diem
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses must be paid in full. Copy fees at standards rates. Travel time 50% per diem rate
Available Upon Request