Dr. Brown is Principal of Space Analytics, LLC, a Chicago firm providing expert services in building, site and urban design analysis for real estate problems since 1989. Shape-networks™, his spatial analysis method, addresses premises liability (8 figure settlements); eminent domain access takings; architectural copyright & trade dress (largest US award); public space and public forum; owner-builder-designer-user disputes and has successfully undergone Daubert review. Dr. Brown taught real estate, architecture and management in the United States and Europe and has published in leading real estate and architecture journals.
Areas of Expertise
- Eminent Domain
- Premises Liability
- Real Estate Valuation
- Retail Real Estate
- Shopping Center/Mall Real Estate
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science (Communications) from the University of Illinois, Urbana–Champaign;
Master of Business Administration from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia;
Master of Science (Architecture) (thesis distinction), The Bartlett School, University College London, London, England;
Doctor of Technology, Built Environment (Higher Doctorate), Ulster University, Northern Ireland.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: He has memberships in the American Real Estate Society, the Congress of the New Urbanism, Lambda Alpha International Honorary Land Economics Society and is a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor of Architecture at IIT in Chicago, Arizona State University and the University of Colorado. Head of the Real Estate Management and Development Group at Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Aldar Dean of Business at the Higher Colleges of Technology in the UAE. Academic Fellow of the Urban Land Institute.
He has published two books, several dozen peer-reviewed articles, professional articles, criticism and reviews, and newspaper columns. He has made over 50 national, international and local presentations including keynote addresses and has testified on Court TV and was interviewed on American Public Radio. He has lectured on spatial cognition, spatial network analysis, premiere liability, behavioral economics, decision-making and judgment biases of real estate and design professionals.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: about 45
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: premises liability, eminent domain, public forum, architectural copyright, trade dress, public space, problem property,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 80 percent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20 percent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: about 35
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: November 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: about 20
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: about 20
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: coordination of experts; reports - text and schematic graphics; animation advice; site inspection;
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel - half the hourly rate.
Available Upon Request