Dr. Brown formed Space Analytics, LLC, in 1989 and is a leading expert on functionality and the effects of the design and configuration of built environments on human movement. In litigation and consulting, he has addressed problems involving premises liability, architectural design, architectural copyright, eminent domain access takings, retail buildings including shopping malls, public space including public forum and peddling and vending. He has published and lectured widely, received publication awards, and developed a methodology successfully reviewed for Daubert compliance. He is a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Member of the land economics honorary, Lambda Alpha International and was a Professor, Department Head, Associate Dean and Dean in architecture and real estate programs at major universities in the United States, Europe and the Middle East.
Areas of Expertise
- Architect Liability
- Eminent Domain
- Interior Design
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Ramp & Stairs
- Retail Real Estate
- Shopping Center/Mall Real Estate
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science (Communications) from the University of Illinois, Urbana–Champaign;
Master of Business Administration from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia;
Master of Science (Architecture) (thesis distinction), The Bartlett School, University College London, London, England;
Doctor of Technology, Built Environment (Higher Doctorate), Ulster University, Northern Ireland.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: The American Real Estate Society, Lambda Alpha International Honorary Land Economics Society, Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor of Architecture at IIT in Chicago, Arizona State University and the University of Colorado. Head of the Real Estate Management and Development Group at Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Aldar Dean of Business at the Higher Colleges of Technology in the UAE. Academic Fellow of the Urban Land Institute.
He has published two books, several dozen peer-reviewed articles, professional articles, criticism and reviews, and newspaper columns. Over 50 national, international and local presentations including keynote addresses; testified on Court TV and was interviewed on American Public Radio. Lectured on spatial cognition, spatial network analysis, premises liability, behavioral economics, decision-making and judgment biases of real estate and design professionals.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: about 45
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: premises liability, eminent domain, public forum, architectural copyright, trade dress, public space, problem property,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 80 percent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 20 percent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: about 35
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: about 20
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: about 20
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: about 15 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: data collection and analysis; reports with text, photos and graphics; rebuttal reports; site inspection and analysis; deposition reviews; coordination of experts; simulation and animation advice;
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: long-distance travel - half the hourly rate.
Available Upon Request