Nursing Expert/Consultant, Life Care Planner & Respiratory Therapist with experience in giving expert testimony 135 times in either deposition,trial,arbitration, mediation or hearings and has been retained in more than 450 cases to include medical malpractice, personal injury, products liability, workers compensation & criminal cases. Twenty yrs. nursing experience to include Critical Care, Emergency Room, Post-partum,Med-Surg,Nursing supervision, Rehab, Homecare & Nursing Homes. Laura Burchell-Henson is the president and owner of Medi-Legal Consultants, Inc. Laura has a combined 28 years of professional experience in the nursing field and respiratory therapy. This experience includes, but is not limited to Critical Care, Interventional Radiology,Emergency Room, Respiratory Therapy, Homecare, Nursing Homes, Nursing Supervision, Rehab and Discharge Planning. Laura has been retained as an expert/consultant more than 450 times since 1999. Medi-Legal Consultants, Inc. has served a variety of defense & plaintiff attorneys in 28 states. In addition to reviewing legal cases for merit, summarizing medical records and retaining medical experts, Laura collaborates with attorneys and others involved in the legal process, to evaluate and analyze all aspects of a cases nursing matters.
Laura has been a Registered Nurse since 1990 and a Licensed Respiratory Therapist since 1983 and is a Legal Nurse Consultant. Laura has taught a variety of critical care and respiratory therapy classes. Laura is a member of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants and American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
Areas of Expertise
- Document Examination
- Elder Abuse
- Emergency Medicine
- Legal Nurse Consultant
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
Legal Nurse Consultant (LNC)
Licensed Respiratory Therapist (RCP)
Licensed Registered Nurse (RN)
Life Care Planner
Manager of Discharge Planning and Quality Assurance
Manager of House Supervisor's
Hospital Nursing Supervisor
Certified Critical Care Nurse (CCRN)
Certified Oncology Nurse
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)
Electrocardiograph Technician (EKG)
Electroencephalograph Technician (EEG)
Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)
Continuing Education Provider by the Board of Nursing-expired
Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor (ACLS)-expired
Basic Cardiac Life Support Instructor (BCLS)-expired
Interventional Radiology Nurse
SPECIAL CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
CCRN # 0116123 (Certified Critical Care Nurse)
ACLS Instructor (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)expired
BCLS Instructor (Basic Cardiac Life Support) expired
BRN# CEP 10768 (Board of Registered Nursing)
RN License #456862
RCP License #00001141
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
American Radiological Nurses Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have taught classes in:
"Ventilator Management of the Critical Care Patient"
"Basic Heart Arrhythmias"
"Assessment of Heart & Lung Sounds"
"Legal Issues in Critical Care"
"Advanced Cardiac Life Support"
"Basic Cardiac Life Support"
"What Every Nurse Must Know About the Law"
"How to keep from having a nursing negligence claim brought against you"
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approx. 450
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Nursing expert in medical malpractice, personal injury, criminal & products liability, Workers Compensation
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 115
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2011
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: more than 20
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 20
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1999
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert Testimony in depo, trial, arbitration, mediation
1. Screen medical malpractice cases for merit
2. Define the applicable Standards of Care
3. Define deviations from and adherence to the Standard of Care
4. Assess the damages/injuries (pathophysiology, extent of injury, and prognosis, patient physical assessment etc.)
5. Identify factors that caused or contributed to the alleged damages/injury (preexisting conditions, life-style, work habits, etc.)
6. Summarize medical records (facts, diagnostic studies, procedures, etc.)
7. Organize, tab and paginate medical records.
8. Identify and recommend potential defendants
9. Conduct literature search and integrate the literature and standards/guidelines into the case analysis
10. Research and analyze validity of research studies and other publications by experts
11. Identify and review medical records, hospital policies and procedures, and other essential documents (e.g. billing records)
12. Expand attorney's medical library
13. Interview clients, key witnesses and experts
14. Identify and locate experts needed
15. Prepare interrogatories
16. Review and draft responses to various legal documents and correspondence
17. Assist in exhibit preparation
18. Prepare deposition questions
19. Review, analyze and summarize depositions
20. Help prepare witnesses and experts for deposition and trial
21. Develop written reports for use as study tools by the attorney
22. Develop life care plans
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 250.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 250.00/hr
Rush fees if needed in 10 days or less
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $375.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $375.00 (4 hr minimum)
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Telephone consultation
Travel Time $150.00/hr.
Any time that can be tracked to a specific case
Long Distance Phone Charges
Courier, FedEx, UPS charges
Overnight Fee, if traveling as expert witness
All outstanding bills are due within 2 weeks of verbal/written report. A 2% late fee will be assessed if not paid within 2 weeks and a 2% late fee will continue to be assessed every 30 days thereafter until paid in full. For all late invoices more than 3 months will be sent to collections.
Lynn Moyer Long Beach Ca.
Robert Gilmore Fresno Ca.