Physician Medical Coding Expert: Practicing surgeon and Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based providing expert witness and consulting services in medical coding, reimbursement, and compliance.
-President, Coding and Physician Reimbursement Analysts, Inc.
-Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based
-Chair, Coding and Third Party Reimbursement Committee, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
-Chair, Third Party Liaison Committee, Florida Society of Ophthalmology
-Representative, CPT Advisory Committee, American Medical Association
-Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida College of Medicine
-Chief of Ophthalmology, Holmes Regional Medical Center
Instructs, writes, and speaks for national audiences. Excellent communication skills.
One of the select group of practicing physicians and surgeons that is also a
Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based.
Areas of Expertise
- Hospitals & Medical Services
- Medical Billing
- Medical Fraud
- Medical Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science (With Distinction), Cornell University College of Engineering, 1981
Doctor of Medicine (With Distinction), University of Michigan Medical School, 1984
Master of Business Administration, University of Central Florida College of Business, 1999
Certified Coding Specialist--Physician-based, American Health Information Management Association, 2003
Residency in Ophthalmology, Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute/Johns Hopkins Hospital
Fellowship in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida College of Medicine
Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
Florida Medical License ME 55705
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Medical Assocation, American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Florida Medical Association, Florida Society of Ophthalmology, American College of Surgeons, Florida Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee, American Health Information Management Association, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Alpha Omega Alpha, The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Dr. Freeman is an active instructor and speaker to local, regional, and national audiences.
Resource based relative value scale (RBRVS)
National Correct Coding Initiative
CPT methodology and updates
Evaluation and Management coding
Fraud and abuse
Internet coding and reimbursement resources
I author the "coding.doc" column in Ophthalmology Times magazine. These articles are not subject to peer review:
Advanced beneficiary notice shifts responsibility for payment
Coding for pterygium: diagnostics and therapeutics
New vitreoretinal codes represent major change for 2008
Know the guidelines for coding glaucoma tests
2008's new modifiers should be used correctly
CPT's category III codes provide key to new technologies
The National Correct Coding Initiative and bundling
Physician fee schedules, coding are closely related
Glaucoma surgical coding remains a challenge
Consultations are again the focus of changes
Avoidance of coding errors helps doctors stay safe
Switch to ICD-10 must be managed effectively
"Medically Unlikely Edits" program sets payment limits
Coding landscape changes for glaucoma diagnosis and treatment
CAC members help provide clarity to coverage decisions
Modifier -59 modifications carry big reimbursement impact
Payer perspective guides reimbursement
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Fair and reasonable value
Usual, customary, and reasonable (UCR)value
Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction
Conformity with coding guidelines
Personal injury protection (PIP) claims
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Expert witness work including testimony, review of billing records, report preparation, consulting, research, analysis.
References upon request.