I am the owner, President, and Chief Investigator of Cunningham Investigative Associates, which has been in business since 1988. I have over forty years experience in the investigation of fire and explosion scenes to determine the cause and point of origin. I am a P.O.S.T. Certified Arson Investigator skilled in interviewing techniques and "Arson for Profit" investigations. I also have seven years experience in fire extinguishment. I have qualified as an expert witness in the determination of cause and origin in both Federal and State Courts in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. I am a currently Certified Fire Investigator, recognized by the International Association of Arson Investigators through qualifications and examination. My original certification was obtained in April 1986 and was again recertified in 1991, 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 and 2016. I was also NFPA NPQ Certified in 1998 and NFPA 1033 NPQ Certified in 2011 and 2016.
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: * P.O.S.T. Certified Arson Investigator
* Certified Fire Investigator recognized by the International Association of Arson Investigators by qualifications and examination, April 1986, recertified April 1991, recertified April 1996, recertified April 2001, recertified April 2006, recertified April 2011, recertified April 2016, NFPA NPQ Certified 1998, NFPA 1033 NPQ Certified 2011 & 2016.
* NFPA NPQ Certified in 1998.
* NFPA 1033 NPQ Certified in 2011 and 2016.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI), Georgia Fire Investigators Association (Georgia Chapter of IAAI), South Carolina Chapter of IAAI, Alabama Chapter of IAAI, Souther Loss Association, Atlanta Claims Association, NFPA
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Lectured at the North Central Georgia Law Enforcement Academy on Arson for Police Officers, Basic Arson Cause and Origin and Fire Scene Search and Evidence Collection on a number of occasions.
Lectured on various arson related topics at the Annual Southeastern Arson Seminars, 1982, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004.
Lectured on various arson related topics at Georgia Fire Investigators Association Seminars, 1983 to 2007.
Lectured at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Seminar, successful Prosecution of Arson, Cincinnati, Ohio, June, 1988.
Lectured at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center on incendiary fire causes, April 1991, April 1992, September 1994, December 1994, October 1995, October 1996,
October 1997, April 1998, October 1998, March 1999, March 2000, October 2000,
March 2001, October 2001, March 2002, October 2002, March 2003, September 2003,
March 2004, October 2004, April 2005, September 2005, September 2006, February
2007, February 2008, September 2009, April 2010, April 2011, April 2012, Oct 2012,
April 2013, 2014, Oct 2015, Oct 2016, April 2017, Oct 2017, May 2018, May 2019.
Lectured on Fire Origin and Cause at Cherokee County Fire Department and Jackson County Fire Department, 1994.
Peace Officers Standards and Training Council and Georgia Public Safety Training Center Certified Guest/Professional Instructor, April 1995.
Lectured at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center at Arson Investigation Symposiums held January 22, 1998, February 18, 1998, March 3, 1998, and September
Lectured on incendiary fire causes to insurance personnel at Safeco Insurance Company, 1995, January 2003.
Lectured on incendiary fire causes to insurance personnel at Grange Mutual Insurance Company, March 12, 1998.
Lectured to insurance personnel on incendiary fire causes at a seminar hosted by Southern Mutual Insurance Company in Athens, Georgia, April 1, 1998.
Lectured on arson investigations at the 1998 Georgia International Association of Special Investigative Units Seminar, May 18, 1998.
Lectured to Fire Science class at Lanier Tech, June 1998. Lectured to classes at Gwinnett Fire Academy, 1996, 1998, 2004.
Lectured to insurance personnel at Cincinnati Insurance Company on origin and cause investigations October 2000.
Lectured on Fire Investigations at Alabama Association of Arson Investigators Seminar, December 2001.
Lectured on Evidence Collection & Preservation at IAAI-AHAM Regional Seminar in Savannah, Georgia, November 2004.
Lectured on origin and cause to Georgia Farm Bureau personnel, April 2005.
Lectured on What To Expect from your Cause and Origin Investigator at Farmers Insurance Company, April 8, 2010.
Lectured on Origin and Cause to various insurance personnel at a seminar sponsored by Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers, and April 30, 2010.
Lectured on Incendiary Fire Cause Georgia Chapter International Association of Special Investigation Units March 8, 2011.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 6 to 8 Thousand
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Fire Investigation / Subrogation
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: over 25
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: every time in both state and federal court, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: over 20
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 38 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: site examination to determine the origin and cause of the fire or explosion with subrogation in mind
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $150.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $150.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $150.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel, milage, office, normal fees
Swift Currie McGee & Heirs 1355 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA
Bernie Kistler Staff Counsel
Cincinnati Insurance Company