Ken Leonard is a SHOPPING CENTER and RETAIL REAL ESTATE SPECIALIST with extensive litigation support and EXPERT WITNESS experience serving leading Law Firms and "Fortune 100" Companies throughout the United States and in several foreign countries. He brings a unique and important perspective to every consulting and expert witness assignment because he is one of the very few industry experts that has had senior executive “board room" experience managing all aspects of Retail Real Estate with both national anchor and inline Retailers as well as mall REITs.
He has over 35 years experience representing both Landlords and Tenants in all types of retail real estate situations involving standards of care & custom and practice for regional mall, strip center and mixed use developments.
Specifically he has experience in: Reciprocal Easement Agreements, (REA), Reciprocal Operating Agreements, (ROA), shopping center management, shopping center development and redevelopment, shopping center operations, shopping center leasing, shopping center construction, shopping center research, Retailer and REIT real estate portfolio valuation, design and development of mixed use projects, property and lease negotiations, leasehold valuation, trade area analysis, location strategy, purchase or sale of shopping centers and/or retail companies, due diligence services for investors and developers, expansion or contraction strategies for retailers, and expert witness testimony.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Real Estate
- Eminent Domain
- Land Use & Zoning
- Lost Profits
- Premises Liability
- Property Management
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Damages
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Malpractice
- Real Estate Valuation
- Retail Real Estate
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MBA U of Chicago
BA U of Chicago
Illinois Broker's License
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: ICSC, GLG, ULI,
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have been a guest lecturer at several colleges and at industry gatherings at ULI, ICSC, AMA, and GLG private and public functions.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 48
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Landlord/Tenant disputes, Mall Management, Mall Security/Safety, Shopping Center design and construction, Brokerage disputes, Exclusive Use clauses, Standards and Practices, Reciprocal Easement Agreements (REAs),Restrictive Use clauses, Anchor Tenant negotiations, Shopping Center valuations, Inline Tenant leasing disputes, Traffic and Parking lot accidents, Partial Takings, Slips & Falls, Wrongful Deaths, Repair & Replacement obligation disputes. Common Area Maintenance disputes,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 48
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: October, 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 8
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 8
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 14
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: All Due Diligence and Litigation Support services as needed.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400.00 based upon door to door, plus all out-of-pocket expenses.
All out of town testimony will be charged at the daily rate of $4,000.00 plus all expenses.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: See above.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: See above.
Marshall N. Dickler, of Dickler, Kahn, Slowikowski & Zanell, Ltd. @ 847 593 5595. Retained in the matter of “Jefferson Square Mall v. Menard”. In addition to being the lead attorney, Mr. Dickler was also the owner of the Mall.
Stephen J. Moore, 816 777 1012, Retained in the matter of Jeanne M. DiSantillo v. Simon Property Group