Ken Leonard is a SHOPPING CENTER and RETAIL REAL ESTATE SPECIALIST with extensive LITIGATION CONSULTING, LITIGATION SUPPORT services and EXPERT WITNESS experience serving leading Law Firms and "Fortune 100" Companies throughout the United States and in several foreign countries. He brings a unique and important perspective to every consulting and expert witness assignment because he is one of the very few industry experts that has had senior executive “board room" experience managing all aspects of Retail Real Estate matters with both national anchor and inline Retailers as well as mall REITs.
He has over 40 years experience representing both Landlords and Tenants in all types of shopping center and retail real estate situations involving regional mall, strip center and mixed use developments.
Specifically he has experience in: Anchor and Inline tenant lease negotiations, Reciprocal Easement Agreements, (REA), Reciprocal Operating Agreements, (ROA), shopping center management, shopping center development and redevelopment, shopping center operations, shopping center leasing, shopping center construction, shopping center research, shopping center security, traffic and parking facilities, standards of care, Retailer and REIT portfolio valuation, design and development of mixed use projects, property and lease negotiations, leasehold valuation, trade area analysis, location strategy, purchase or sale of shopping centers and/or retail companies, due diligence services for investors and developers, expansion or contraction strategies for retailers, and expert witness testimony.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Real Estate
- Land Use & Zoning
- Lost Profits
- Premises Liability
- Property Management
- Real Estate Damages
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Malpractice
- Retail Real Estate
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MBA U of Chicago
BA U of Chicago
Illinois Broker's License
Also, I am currently a candidate for a Mater or Liberal Arts (MLA) degree at the U of Chicago.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: ICSC, GLG, ULI,
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have been a guest lecturer at several colleges and Universities and at numerous industry gatherings of professional and/or industry organizations such as; The Urban Land Institute (ULI), International Council of Shopping Centers ( ICSC), American Management Association (AMA), National Retail Merchant's Association (NRMA), and Gerson Lerhman Group ( GLG).
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 60 +
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Landlord/Tenant disputes, Mall Management, Mall Security/Safety, Shopping Center design and construction, Brokerage disputes, Exclusive Use clauses, Standards and Practices, Reciprocal Easement Agreements (REAs), Restrictive Use clauses, Anchor Tenant negotiations, Shopping Center and Department Store evaluations and Damages, Inline Tenant leasing disputes, Traffic and Parking lot accidents, Partial Takings, Slips & Falls, Wrongful Deaths, Repair & Replacement obligation disputes, Common Area Maintenance disputes, Site Plan violations, Exclusive Use Clauses, Market Research Reports, Trade Area Analysis,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 50%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 60+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Probably within the past 90 days.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 10
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 8
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: All Due Diligence and a variety of Litigation Support services including Consulting, Reports, Affidavits and Expert Disclosures.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: If within driving distance, $450.00 based upon door to door, plus all out-of-pocket expenses.
All out of town testimony will be charged at the daily rate of $4,500.00 plus all expenses.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Same as for deposition testimony.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: None.
Tom Pirtle & Rick Laminack
Laminack, Pirtle & Martines, L.L.P
5020 Montrose Blvd., Houston, TX.
Retained in the matter of MATHER v. PARKWAY.
Thomas J. Henry, LLP
4900 Woodway, Houston, TX
Retained in the matter of David A. Leverett V. Chelsea Jones; Sylvia Jones, Willowbrook Mall (TX), & General Growth Management
Donna J. Fudge
Fudge & McArthur, LLP
St. Petersburg, FL
Retained in the matter of Bridgeport South Realty Advisors, Inc. v. Metro Group Construction and C.V.S. Pharmacy, Inc.
Marshall N. Dickler
Dickler, Kahn, Slowikowski & Zanell, Ltd
Retained in the matter of Jefferson Square Mall v. Menard
In addition to being the lead attorney, Mr. Dickler was also the owner of the Mall.
Stephen J. Moore
Law Office of Stephen J. Moore, P.C.
1100 Main St. Kansas City, MO
Retained in the matter of Jeanne M. DiSantillo v. Simon Property Group