Kathy Matzka, CPMSM, CPCS is a speaker, consultant, and writer with over 30 years of experience in credentialing, privileging, and medical staff services. She holds certification by the National Association Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) in both Medical Staff Management and Provider Credentialing. She is one of the first recipients of the NAMSS Fellow Designation. The Fellow Designation is the pinnacle of achievement and acknowledgment for the Medical Services Professional (MSP), recognizing a career MSP who has made outstanding contributions to the profession through service as a leader, mentor, and educator.
Ms. Matzka has authored a number of books related to medical staff services including Medical Staff Standards Crosswalk: A Quick Reference Guide to The Joint Commission, CMS, HFAP, and DVN Standards, Chapter Leader’s Guide to Medical Staff: Practical Insight on Joint Commission Standards, Compliance Guide to Joint Commission Medical Staff Standards, and The Medical Staff Meeting Companion Tools and Techniques for Effective Presentations. She has been the contributing editor for The Credentials Verification Desk Reference and its companion website The Credentialing and Privileging Desktop Reference. She is co-author of the HcPro’s publication Verify and Comply: Credentialing and Medical Staff Standards Crosswalk, Sixth Edition.
She has performed extensive work with NAMSS’ Library Team developing and editing educational materials related to the field including CPCS and CPMSM Certification Exam Preparatory Courses, CPMSM and CPCS Professional Development Workshops, and NAMSS Core Curriculum. These programs are essential educational tools for both new and seasoned medical services professionals. She also serves as instructor for NAMSS.
Ms. Matzka shares her expertise by serving on the editorial advisory boards for two publications - Briefings on Credentialing, and Credentialing & Peer Review Legal Insider.
Ms. Matzka is a highly-regarded industry speaker, and in this role has developed and presented numerous programs for professional associations, hospitals, and hospital associations on a wide range of topics including provider credentialing and privileging, medical staff meeting management, peer review, negligent credentialing, provider competency, and accreditation standards.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical Credentialing
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Professional Medical Services Management, 1991 (recertified 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015) (Certification title changed from Certified Medical Staff Coordinator in 2004)
Certified Provider Credentialing Specialist, 1997 (recertified 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015)
Fellow Medical Staff Services - 2016
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Association Medical Staff Services
Missouri Association Medical Staff Services
Greater St. Louis Area Chapter of the Missouri Association Medical Staff Services
Illinois Association Medical Staff Services
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Almost 400 presentations on a wide range of topics including provider credentialing and privileging, medical staff meeting management, peer review, negligence in credentialing, provider competency, Medicare Conditions of Participation, and accreditation standards (Joint Commission, HFAP-AOA, NCQA, DNV.)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: As of August 1, 2017, I have been retained to provide expert opinion on 46 occasions.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Credentialing, recredentialing, privileging, medical staff bylaws, release of information.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 41% as of 8/2016
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 59% as of 8/2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Seventeen as of 8/1/2016
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Not known
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: One
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Nine years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, review of documents, review of credentials files, bylaws, provision of opinion, testimony, site reviews for compliance with accreditation and regulatory requirements.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: A minimum, non-refundable advance retainer fee of $3,000 is payable at the beginning of the engagement. Initial work will be charged against the retainer.
Consultant is available for travel for depositions and meetings. Travel time is billed at the consultation fee rate and is based on an 8 hour day. Client is responsible for booking travel arrangements and paying for actual expenses including air fare, rental car, and hotel unless other arrangements are made. If, by mutual agreement, Consultant makes own travel arrangements, refundable airline tickets will be purchased. Mileage will be reimbursed at current IRS rate.
Theodoros & Rooth, P.C.
8750 Broadway, Suite A
Merrillville, IN 46410
Ph (219) 769-6393
Christopher L. Kurtz, Attorney
Douthit Frets Rouse Gentile, & Rhodes
5250 W. 116th Place, Suite 400
Leawood, Kansas 66211
Phone: (913) 387-1600