Dr. Strawn is a seasoned expert witness specializing in patent litigation with experience in Federal Court, the International Trade Commission, and the US Patent Office. He also handles trade secret and copyright litigation involving software. He has been deposed 19 times, testified at trial 3 times including the landmark case Lucent v Microsoft, and submitted several IPR declarations. Dr. Strawn handles validity and infringement for both plaintiffs and defendants. Based on his own research, he writes his own reports and declarations. Dr. Strawn (Stanford Ph.D.) has decades of experience in academia and industry as researcher, employee, manager, and independent consultant. He has published widely and is considered to be a skilled teacher.
- Cell Phones
- Entertainment & Media
- Infotainment & Telematics Systems
- Intellectual Property
- Language & Linguistics
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D., Stanford, 1985
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Fellow (1996), Audio Engineering Society.
Senior Member, IEEE.
Member, Acoustical Society of America.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Keynote Speaker, November 1996 Audio Engineering Society Convention.
Lecturer, College of Arts & Media, University of Colorado at Denver. Teach special topics course on audio data compression to upper-level undergraduate and graduate students, 2003-2008
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: many dozen
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Cell Phones, Computers, Copyright (software), Intellectual Property, Internet, Multimedia, Patents, Software, Software Engineering, Sound Engineering, Trade Secret, Video
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: about 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: about 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 17
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 3
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Conduct research, evaluate prior art, find prior art, prepare claim chart, source code inspection, evaluate patents, study prosecution history, examine copyright office filings, assist with Markman proceedings, attend deposition, write expert report, prepare for trial, appear at trial.
Available Upon Request