Dr. Percival is a seasoned general dentistry practitioner, with over 37 years of clinical experience. Following graduation from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, he remained at OSU for another year as a graduate research associate in the Department of Biophysics and Radiation Biology. Dr. Percival also holds an MSc. degree in epidemiology from Erasmus University, Rotterdam.
Dr. Percival's research background has facilitated his understanding of the long-term health effects of dental materials, devices and procedures on populations. Although recently retired from clinical practice, he maintains an active interest in the use of science and evidence-based dentistry to rationalize and justify treatment protocols and materials. Dr. Percival also recognizes a greater need for implementation of bio-ethical standards within the dental profession that go above and beyond the customary standard of care.
His recently published book, Mindful Dental Consumer, serves as an informative guide for the dental patient, advising him/her on choosing an ethical dentist, avoiding pitfalls before treatment begins, and serving as a primer for laypersons and attorneys on varied dental procedures. He advises attorneys for both plaintiffs and defendants, and has excellent written and verbal communicative skills.
Areas of Expertise
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: - Erasmus University, Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences, Rotterdam
MSc in Epidemiology (1998).
- The Ohio State University, B.S. Zoology (1971); D.D.S. (1974) Health Professions
- Colorado State Board of Dental Examiners. January 1976. License #DEN100929
- Ohio State Board of Dental Examiners. March 1975. License #14779 (inactive).
- Maine Board of Dental Examiners. March 2014. License #DEN4354 (inactive).
- National Board of Dental Examiners, 1975.
- Northeast Regional Board of Dental Examiners, 1975.
- Central Regional Testing Service in Dentistry, 1975.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: -The International Society for Fluoride Research
-American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
-American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: -Instructor in Homeopathy, Adams State University, Extended Studies Division,
-Instructor in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Adams State University, Alamosa, CO.
Spring Semester 1998.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 3
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Dental malpractice, Denver Police Department defense
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: approx. 66%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: approx. 33%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 1
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2014
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 2
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, reports, case evaluation.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $395
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $2500 for any part of day + prep and attorney review time, if required.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Contact Dr. Percival
Available Upon Request