Dr. John Levy is an expert in the computer, software and data storage industry. He holds 7 U.S. patents, has advised two U.S. District Court judges, has litigation support experience in more than 60 cases involving patent, copyright, trade secret and breach of contract issues. He has testified at trial or hearing 4 times and been deposed 10 times in the past 4 years.
He is a published author, lecturer at university level and a consultant in the computer, software and storage industries.
- Design Engineering
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Mathematical Sciences
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D. (Computer Science), Stanford University
M.S. (Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Engineering Physics, Cornell University
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Computer Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: University of San Francisco, Fromm Institute:
"Artificial Intelligence," 2016, 2017
"Navigating the Digital World," 2015
"Innovation and Computers in the Modern World," 2014
"The Meaning of Life in the Digital World," 2013
"The Digital World - Invisible Computers," 2012
"How to Live in a Digital World," 2011
"The Digital Revolution in the Home," 2010, 2008, 2006
"Computers -- the Inside Story," 2009, 2007, 2009
"High-Tech Business in the Era of Globalization," 2006
IEEE National Lecturer - design of computer buses
San Francisco State University-- course on computer design, "Input/Output Architecture"
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: more than 60
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Software, operating systems, computer systems hardware, microprocessors, buses, operating system software, firmware, multiprocessor cache, EEPROM chip failures, disk drive commands, disk drive manufacturing techniques, mass data storage, internet TCP/IP protocol and "cookies", multimedia computers, password protection, software development process including beta test, SCSI, ATA, SATA, FibreChannel, USB, CPU design, cache memory, tape libraries
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60% (the remaining cases were as a neutral)
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 25
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March, 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 14
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 14
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: more than 25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, tutorials on technology, expert reports, preparation of exhibits, site inspections, software analysis, analysis of databases, prior art searches & analysis, patent portfolio review & evaluation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 575
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 575
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 575
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 575
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: No charge for travel expenses within the San Francisco Bay area; no charge for travel time;
for whole days away from SF Bay Area, minimum charge of 4 hours per day.
Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell - Los Angeles
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati - Palo Alto & San Francisco
Kirkland & Ellis - New York
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP