Dr. John D. Jarrell, PhD, PE, is an experienced multi-discipline engineer and doctor of medical science specializing in consultation and expert opinions related to legal cases, product liability, intellectual property, accidents and personal injuries. His expertise includes the analysis of complex systems, designs and failures involving materials, mechanical and medical systems. As a licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer, he is actively involved in design, product development and research. He earned three degrees from Brown University, a Bachelors and Masters of Science in Materials Science and Engineering and a Doctorate in Biology, Medical Science and Engineering and received Medical training in histology, physiology, microbiology and pathology. He has an appointment in the Department of Orthopaedics at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University and at the Weiss Center for Orthopaedic Trauma Research at Rhode Island Hospital. He has US and foreign patents covering photoactive materials, active delivery films and medical applications. He is the author of multiple peer reviewed publications and abstracts in collaboration with academic, hospital and government investigators and authored a guide book on materials selection for designers. He has been awarded contracts by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Rhode Island Hospital and the US Department of Justice. He is an ASTM member for standards Committees F04, Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices and E58 on Forensic Engineering.
Areas of Expertise
- Failure Analysis
- Materials Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Products Liability
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: ScB, Materials Science and Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, May 1988.
MSc, Materials Science and Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, May 1991.
Professional Engineer License (PE), Mechanical Engineering, Rhode Island, February 14, 1996.
PhD, Biology, Medical Science and Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, May 2008.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: SOCIETY AFFILIATIONS- ASTM Intl.; Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS); Society for Biomaterials; National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE); American Society for Materials, International (ASM); International Metallographic Society (IMS); Heat Treating Society (HTS); Society of Carbide and Tool Engineering (SCTE); Electronic Device Failure Analysis Society (EDFAS); Society for Automotive Engineering International (SAE); Surfaces in Biomaterials Foundation; International Association for Property and Evidence (IAPE)
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Over Twenty years
Brian J. Doyle :: Associate :: Fish & Richardson P.C.
601 Lexington Avenue 52nd Floor, New York, NY 10022-4611
212 641 2303 direct :: 212 765 5070 main :: 212 258 2291 fax
Paul D. Tripodi II
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Jack Walker, Esq.
Martin Walker, PC (Orthopaedic Implants)
522 S. Broadway, Suite 200
Tyler, Texas 75702
Phone (903) 526-1600
Dr. Jeffrey R. Morgan
Co-Director, Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering
Associate Professor of Medical Science and Engineering
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology, and Biotechnology
G-B 393, Biomed Center
171 Meeting Street,
Providence, RI 02912
Phone (401) 863-9419
Dr. Christopher T. Born, MD
Director of Orthopaedic Trauma, Rhode Island Hospital
2 Dudley Street, Suite 200, Providence, RI 02905
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery,
The Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
Phone (401) 457-1562