Jim Timmins is a Managing Director of Teknos Associates in Silicon Valley. He has 35 years of experience in valuation, venture capital investing, and investment banking for technology driven companies. He has advised clients and testified in connection with valuation, finance, mergers and acquisitions, fairness, and fiduciary duty, plus he has served on private and public boards of directors. He is an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation and Intangible Assets, a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics (MAFF) in Business and Intellectual Property Damages and a Certified Equity Professional (CEP) in equity incentives and compensation. Expert witness experience: appraisal, business valuation, intellectual property (IP) valuation, damage analysis, lost profits, reasonable royalty, financing, investment banking, mergers & acquisitions, due diligence, fiduciary duty, board of directors, venture capital, malpractice.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Corporate Governance
- Intangible Assets Appraisal
- Lost Profits
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.A. (University of Toronto); M.B.A. (Stanford University); Accredited Senior Appraiser in both Business Valuation and in Intangible Assets (American Society of Appraisers); Master Analyst in Financial Forensics in Business and Intellectual Property Damages (National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts); Certified Equity Professional (Certified Equity Professional Institute of Santa Clara University)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Appraisers
Certified Equity Professional Institute
National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Stanford University, Graduate School of Business; Santa Clara University, School of Law; University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business and Boalt Hall School of Law; University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business and Practicing Law Institute, lecturer and contributor from 1998 to 2004.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: More than 50.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Valuation (economic damages and lost profits); venture capital practice; investment banking practice; fiduciary duty of board members, management, and large shareholders; reasonable royalty.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: More than 20.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 2016
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 12
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 12
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: More than 25 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Analysis, consulting, valuation, expert reports, rebuttal reports, deposition, and trial or arbitration.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $0.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $700.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $700.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $700.
References upon request.