Mr. Jerry Zerg, AIA Emeritus, NCARB, ASLA, ASSE, ASID, IIDA, RDI, NCIDQ, IES, CSI, CCI, CCPM, ICC is a practicing multi-disciplined design and construction professional in the fields of property improvements and furnishings. He is president of United Design Associates, Inc., a noted Design and Construction Company, since 1959. He is the former Dean of Interior Decorators Institute, an educational Institution in the field of interior design, since 1968.
His Professional Designations are Architect, Landscape Architect, General Contractor, Safety Engineer, Interior Designer, Lighting Engineer, Store Planner, Construction Inspector, Project Manager, Property and Site Development.
Mr. Zerg's areas of expertise include Architecture, Construction Specifications, ADA, ANSI & OSHA Standards, Building Codes, Construction Management, Building Inspections, Slip/Trip/Fall, Arbitration & Mediation, Insurance Claims, Product Liability, Appraisals & Valuations, Scope of Loss Reports, Contract Disputes, Landscaping and Hardscaping, Arboriculture, Decks and Patios, Drainage Systems, Drought Tolerant Plants, Erosion & Flood Control, Hillside Slippage, Irrigation Systems, Root Control, Playground Equipment, Antiques, Historic Preservation, Leasing and Tenant Improvement, Building Standards, Tenant Build-outs, Health & Safety Codes, Plant & Factory Layouts, Signage & Graphics, Interior Design and Furnishings, Lighting & Lamps; Fixture Design, Antiques, Art & Accessories, Store & Restaurant Planning, Floor, Wall & Window Coverings, Hospitality & Geriatric Furniture, Kitchens & Bathrooms, Labor & Material Budgets, Cost & Project Controls, Fees & Permit Costs.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Antiques, Art, & Collectibles Appraisal
- Apparel & Textile Industry
- Architect Liability
- Brick & Stone
- Building Codes
- Commercial Real Estate
- Construction Damages
- Construction Safety
- Disabled Access
- Disaster Management
- Employment & Vocational
- Failure Analysis
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Forensic Engineering
- Interior Design
- Ladders & Scaffolds
- Landscape Design
- Lath & Plaster
- Lighting & Illumination
- Paint & Coatings
- Personal Injury
- Playground Safety
- Pools & Spas
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Real Estate Damages
- Real Estate Malpractice
- Real Estate Valuation
- Residential Real Estate
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Walking & Working Surfaces
- Wood Products & Lumber
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Architect Retired
Ph.D. from the "University of Hard Knocks"
State of California Architect #10976
General Contractor #277837
Landscape Architect #2559
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: AIA--Emeritus, American Institute of Architects
NCARB--Nat. Council of Architectural Registration Boards
ASLA--American Society of Landscape Architects
ASSE--American Society of Safety Engineers
ASID--American Society of Interior Designers
IIDA -- Intwrnational Interior Design Association #707
RDI -- Retail Design Institute
NCIDQ--National Council for Interior Design Qualification
IES--Illuminating Engineers Society
CSI -- Construction Specifications Institute
CCI--Certified Construction Inspectors
CCPM--Certified Construction Project Manager
ICC -- International Code Council
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Teaching and speaking engagements on the following subject matters: interior design, architecture, landscaping, construction and lighting, space planning, history of furniture, fabric, art and accessories. He is currently the Dean and Instructor of Interior Design Institute, and has spoken at many universities, seminars, clubs.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 300+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: INJURY: Slips & Falls, Accident Reconstruction, Testing; PRODUCT LIABILITY: Negligence, Defects, Failures, Damages, Hazards; PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY: Errors & Omissions, Design, Contracts, Specs; STANDARDS: Codes, Performance, Safety, ADA/ANSI & OSHA Compliance; RESTORATION: Plans, Cost to Cure, Antiques, Valuation, Lighting, Furnishings, Trial and Deposition Expert; COURT CERTIFIED EXPERT WITNESS in all areas and topics listed above.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 300+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: November 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approx. 100#
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approx. 150+
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 31 Years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting ï Site Inspections ï Investigations ï Research ï Presentations Safety ï Testing ï Interrogatories ï Standards ï Codes ï Performance ï Injury ï Defects ï Damages ï Discovery ï Deposition & Trial Testimony Services ï Reports ï Evidence Review ï Case Preparation ï Computer Research Related to Services ï Conferences ï Court Certified Expert Witness
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: No Charge for Initial Consultation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $350.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $450 per hour
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $450 per hour
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Professional Staff Assistants = $175.00/HOUR
Staff Assistants = $95.00/HOUR
Secretarial = $50.00/HOUR
Arbitration & Mediation = $450.00/HOUR
Out-of-town travel, transportation, lodging and telephone = At Cost
Exhibits, models, and presentation material = cost+10%
Outside consulting & testing services = cost+15%
Mileage by automobile = $.75/mile
Long Distance Telephone, Postage & Parking = At Cost
References upon request.