Dr. Jennifer L'Hommedieu Stankus, MD, JD, FACEP is a national leader in emergency medicine. She works as a clinical faculty physician in the emergency medicine residency program at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. In addition to expertise in the academic environment, Dr. Stankus has experience and expertise in community emergency departments, urban tertiary care centers, free-standing emergency departments, and urgent care centers. She is licensed to practice medicine in Washington, Texas, and Nevada.
Dr. Stankus began her career as an attorney in the US Army JAG Corps, serving as the hospital medical malpractice defense attorney at a large US Army teaching hospital. There, she handled over $600M in claims against the hospital and its medical providers, and sat on the risk management, peer review, quality improvement, medical records, performance improvement, medical ethics, and credentials committees. She was also a part-time military magistrate, ruling on search warrants and pre-trial confinement in criminal cases, and earned her Airborne wings. Dr. Stankus is a member of the bar in Colorado, Washington, and Washington, DC. Prior to law school, Dr. Stankus worked as a police officer, and has additional interest, expertise, and experience in criminal law and forensics, and regularly offers expert services in those cases as well. Dr. Stankus is a member of the bar in Washington, DC, Colorado, and Washington State.
Dr. Stankus is uniquely qualified as a medical expert in medical malpractice, wrongful death, personal injury, product liability, and criminal cases. She offers the highest quality initial case review, expert witness services, and trial support from the perspective of both an accomplished physician and a seasoned attorney.
Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol Abuse
- Alcohol, Drug & DUI Testing
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Child Abuse
- Criminal Law
- Critical Care Medicine
- Drug Abuse
- Emergency Communications & 911
- Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medicine
- Environmental Toxicology
- Expert Witness Financing
- Lead Poisoning
- Medical Malpractice
- Military Mental Health
- Personal Injury
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Sexual Abuse
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Trauma Surgery/Trauma Medicine
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Active Medical Licenses: Washington, Texas, Nevada
Legal Licenses: Washington DC, Colorado, Washington
Colorado Police Officer Certification and Academy, Aimes Community College, Greeley, Colorado
B.A., Psychology, University of Colorado at Boulder
J.D., University of Denver
M.D., University of Washington
Board Certification, American Board of Emergency Medicine
Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Admission to Bar in the Following Jurisdictions: Colorado, Washington, Washington D.C.
Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians
Diplomat, American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Dr. Stankus is a clinical faculty member at Madigan Army Medical Center, so she teachs emergency medicine clinically every shift. Additionally, she is among a handful of Residency Ambassadors for the American College of Emergency Physicians, who travel around the country visiting various residency programs and lecturing, and is a faculty member for ACEP's national conference. The following is a list of her most recent lectures:
♦ Faculty Lecture, with Andrew W. Asimos, MD, FACEP. Double Jeopardy: Risk in Neurology. ACEP National Meeting, Washington, DC, October 30, 2017.
♦ Faculty and Moderator, with Stephen Anderson, MD, FACEP, Larry Bedard, MD, FACEP, Melissa Costello, MD, FACEP, and Arthur Kellerman, MD, FACEP. The Great Debates: Weed Wars and Gun Violence. ACEP National Meeting, Washington, DC, October 30, 2017.
♦ Invited Keynote Speaker, 4th Annual All New Jersey Symposium for Emergency Medicine Residencies (ANSWER), Turn a Shark Dive into a Fish Bake! Surviving and Thriving in a Tough Medical-Legal Environment. Rutger’s University, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 16, 2017.
♦ Invited Lecturer, Annual Meeting of American College of Emergency Physicians Young Physicians Section (YPS). L’Art de Vivre – Ninja Style! Las Vegas, Nevada, October 16, 2016.
♦ Invited Grand Rounds Lecturer, University of New Mexico Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Recent Trends in Medical Malpractice; What’s Hot and What’s Not in Emergency Medicine. October 4, 2016.
♦ Invited Garand Rounds Lecturer, Madigan Army Medical Center Emergency Medicine Residency. Recent Trends in Medical Malpractice. August 3, 2016.
♦ Invited Guest Speaker by National Director of Neurology for VA System, Monthly Neurology Grand Rounds Webinar. Acute Ischemic Stroke and tPA - Understanding and Mitigating the Legal Liabilities. December 2015.
♦ Commissioned Webinar, Reach Health Educational Webinar Program. Acute Ischemic Stroke and tPA - Understanding and Mitigating the Legal Liabilities. November 5, 2015.
♦ Invited Lecturer, Arrowhead Emergency Medicine Residency. Heuristics: Mental Short Cuts that Cause Medical Errors; Failure to Diagnosis: Recent Trends in Medical Malpractice; ACEP Leadership and Advocacy. Colton, California, September 16, 2015.
♦ Invited lecturer, University of Washington Emergency Medicine Residency. Landing the Right Job After Residency: What you Need to Know About Different Practice Types, Contracts, and Contract Negotiations. Seattle, WA, November 6, 2014.
♦ Faculty at ACEP Emergency Medicine Academy, Phase I – Essentials of Emergency Medicine, San Diego, CA, April 2014; Las Vegas, NV, April 2015: Documentation: Focus on the Priorities; The Failure to Diagnose: Recent Trends; Heuristics: Human Cognition and Patient Safety
♦ Stankus, JL. Medical-legal and Ethical Issues in EMS. Lecture presented at: New Mexico EMS Academy, Albuquerque, NM; Paramedic Refresher Course, December, 2009.
♦ L’Hommedieu, JD. Appropriate Use of Living Wills; Powers of Attorney in Patient Care; End-of-Life Decisions; Competency; Court Appointed Representatives and Advocates; and, Ethics. Session presented at: Geriatric Conference, June 2001; Augusta, GA.
♦ L’Hommedieu, JD. Business and Public Policy: How Political Winds and Societal Mores Have Shaped Legislation, and Legal/ Industry Policy with Respect to Firearms in the United States. Lecture presented at: Daniel’s College of Business, University of Denver, May 2000; Denver, CO.
Additionally, Dr. Stankus regularly contributes to journals and other print and media outlets:
♦ EM RAP Guest, with Michael Weinstock, author of Bouncebacks!, October 2016.
Risk Management Monthly DC Series
♦ Guest commentary on Risk Management Monthly CD with Rick Bukata and Greg Henry, April 2011, July 2014, October 2015, April 2016.
♦ Interview by Evan Sweeney on CMS two-midnight rule and it’s impact on ED physicians, specifically regarding some hospitals advocating the EMPs take on admitting privileges. Credentailing and Peer Review Legal Insider, May 25, 2014.
♦ Guest on Statewide News Network Radio, discussing Washington’s Report Card on Support for Emergency Care, January 16, 2014.
♦ Guest on KHOW Radio, The Record, discussing America’s Emergency Care Environment, a State-by-Sate Report Card, January 16, 2014.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: The following represent the most recent cases: traumatic brain injury, head trauma, blood splatter pattern, stabbing and self-defense wounds, improper cardiac resuscitation, improper emergency transfer of patient, improper level of care for emergency transfer of patient, failure to diagnose serious illness in the emergency department.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 70%
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Case file review, expert opinion, expert witness, review of other opinions, trial strategy and preparation.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $500
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $600, one hour minimum
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $750, four hour minimum
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Time of travel is billed at $400/hr with a daily maximum of $2000, and all actual expenses incurred are expected to be reimbursed.
Michael A. Ayosa
Lummi Nation Public Defender
Attorney at Law
2665 Kwina Rd.
Bellingham WA 98226
Main # 360-312-2228
Daniel R. Kyler
Rush, Hannula, Harkins & Kyler, LLP
4701 S. 19th Street, Suite 300
Tacoma, WA 98405
Fax: (253) 272-5105
Assistant United States Attorney
United States Attorney’s Office
1201 Pacific Avenue, Ste. 700
Tacoma, WA 98402
Crowther Law Firm, P.C.
1230 Peachtree Street, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30309
Phone: (404) 946-1900
Fax: (404) 923-7475