Jeff also has served as an Expert Witness for a multitude of intellectual property cases, including patent, copyright (source code), and trade secret infringement. While offering Expert services, Jeff is also constantly engaged in development projects, primarily with storage-related devices but, also with medical devices and nanotechnology.
Jeff has previously served as treasurer for IEEE - Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley for two years, and is currently an at-large director on the IEEE-CNSV board. He also volunteers in his sixth year as chair of the IEEE-CNSV Consulting Practices Program, producing seminars for engineering consultants.
Jeff is a regular attendee/contributor to industry conferences such as Embedded Systems Conference (contributor), Flash Memory Summit (conference advisory board), Apple World Wide Develpers' Conference (attendee), LinuxWorld (attendee), and various presentations given by the Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA).
Areas of Expertise
- Electronic Discovery
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Software Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: AAEE, Heald Institute of Technology; BSEE program, San Diego State University;
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: IEEE-USA
IEEE-CNSV (Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley)
PATCA (Professional and Technical Consultants Association)
SNIA (Storage Networking Industry Association)
IDEMA (International Disk drive Equipment Manufacturers Association)
Flash Memory Summit (Conference Advisory Board)
CHM (Member/Supporter Computer History Museum, Mountain View, CA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Taught classes on SCSI and ATA hard disk drive interfaces at Seagate Technology in mid 1980's.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert witness and/or forensic expert consultant for more than 15 patent infringement, copyright, trade secret and intellectual property cases.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: All cases I have been involved with related to either my hardware or software expertise in computer storage devices.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Approximately 80%.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Approximately 20%.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: None. All cases settled before a deposition occurred. Or, the patents for which I was responsible were just a few in a large pool of patents, and mine never made it to court.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Never.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: None.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: None.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 16 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: I offer software, embedded software/firmware comparison for intellectual property and trade secret cases; forensic analysis of competitive storage devices; and general consultation and teaching of technicalities related to storage devices and systems.
References upon request.