We have been very effective in litigation support by assisting attorneys in their evaluation of the merits of impending action, in testimony and in consultation with counsel during preparation for trial. We qualify as experts in many fields of engineering practice. We can also assist in locating an expert if the required areas of expertise are beyond our scope. We are available to counsel for either plaintiff or defense and as advisors and experts empaneled by the Court. We have also served as a neutral on a panel of arbitrators.
Brad Shepherd has practiced professional engineering for fifty years as an electrical engineer and engineering manager in industry. He has an additional ten years experience as a working electrician, electronics technician and electrical project cost estimator in the commercial, residential, aerospace and marine environment.
Practice areas to include Florida, Alabama and Texas; other states by comity.
Electrical utility distribution; Overhead and underground power lines; Electrocution; Electric shock; Electrical injury and property damage; Electrical fires; NEC, NESC Codes and Industry standards; Lightning; Lighting; Eminent domain; marine electrical.
Areas of Expertise
- Amusement Parks
- Construction & Architecture
- Construction Safety
- Electrical Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Lighting & Illumination
- Power Tools
- Professional Engineering
- Safety Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, University of Florida; Master of Business Administration, Rollins College; Seminars & Short Courses by: Georgia Tech, Univ of Georgia, Nat Academy of Forensic Engineers, Fla Eng Society, Licensed and Registered P.E. in Florida, Alabama and Texas, other states by comity; Legal Research Net., Global Atmospherics, US Naval Training Center & others.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Society of Professional Engineers
Florida Engineering Society
Institute of Electrical and Electronice Engineers (IEEE), Senior member
National Academy of Forensic Engineers, Fellow
American College of Forensic Examiners, Diplomate
Florida Fire Inspector's Association
National Fire Protection Association
Past active: Edison Electric Institute, Southeastern Electric Exchange, IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: No formal teaching experience; numerous presentations and seminars to corporate work groups on electric utility construction standards and safe work practices; Frequent presentations to general public groups on Lightning, Electrical Safety and Forensic examination; presentations to Insurance Adjusters on electrical damage assessment and restoration.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No accusations, suspensions or disciplanary action of any kind. Successfully defended credentials and expertise in Robinson (daubert type) hearing before a Judge.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: One hundred twenty five in active litigation support; five as a neutral arbitrator;
Over two hundred insurance investigations
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Electrical power distribution & service, electrical power transmission, electrical design evaluation, lightning damage and injury, electrocution shock injury and death, electrical fires, electrical safe work practices, codes and standards (NEC, NESC, OSHA), eminent domain and others.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: About forty percent
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: About sixty percent
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Forty +
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Within the last ninety days
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Fifteen instances of testimony in Court; more if include depositions and written opinions submitted to and accepted by the Court
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Fifteen in Court; once before a mediator. Served as an Arbitrator five times.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Thirteen years full time, Thirty-eight plus years including litigation support and testimony as an expert employed in industry; first testimony as expert about 1968.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Electrical engineering consulting services; Transmission and distribution planning, citing, design evaluation and construction inspection; Commercial and industrial electrical design evaluation; Overhead to underground cost differential analysis; Distribution construction standards; Lighting design and evaluation of illumination levels; Contract negotiation and administration; Case preparation and expert testimony pertaining to electrical power distribution and service, electromagnetic fields (EMF), lightning protection, safety evaluation, accident prevention, National Electric Safety Code (NESC), National Electrical Code (NEC), Overhead and underground electrical power distribution system design and installation. System fault protection and public safety. Eminent Domain; Insurance loss investigation and evaluation, property damage, personal injury, lightning and other perils affecting electrical, electronic and electro-mechanical equipment. Project coordination and supervision; Forensic engineering and failure analysis; Accident investigation; Accident prevention programs; Consultation, arbitration and mediation services; Construction contracts, labor relations and collective bargaining agreements; Utility right-of-way utilization.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Actual expenses at cost; Associates at cost plus; rates are portal-to-portal; $3500 retainer as a minimum charge.
These attorneys have provided references in the past:
David Markarian, Esq.
Florida Power & Light
9250 West Flagler Street
Miami, Florida 33174
Geoffrey D. Ringer, Esq.
Ringer, Henry et al
14 East washington St
Orlando, FL 32801
John F. Brown, Esq
Cozen & O'Connor
1900 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103