Dr. Jane Gray is a premises liability expert specializing in assessing foreseeability in events involving criminal conduct by third parties. She also provides expert witness testimony with regard to negligent hiring and retention. Her specific area of expertise resides in identifying the potentiality of a criminal event taking place by evaluating the environment as would a criminal offender. Dr. Gray has been recognized as an expert in federal and numerous state courts.
Areas of Expertise
- Apartment/Condominium Security
- Bank Security
- Bars/Lounges/Night Clubs
- Crime Foreseeability
- Inadequate/Negligent Security
- Premises Liability
- Restaurant Security
- Retail Security
- Violent Crimes
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Ph.D in Sociology/Criminology
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Criminology
American Sociological Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 2006 - Present: Senior Lecturer, Ohio State University
1988 - 2005: Associate Professor, Capital University
1987 - 1988: Assistant Professor, Florida State University
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 34 legal cases; 8 non-legal appointments
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Premises Liability
Negligent Hiring and Retention
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Plaintiff = 79%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Defendant = 21%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 10
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September, 2012
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 34
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 12
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 24 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting and testimony on issues regarding criminal behavior
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $250 - minimum of 4 hours
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses
Desmond Staples, P.A.
6214 Memorial Highway, Suite A
Tampa, FL 33615
Christopher Winters, L.P.A.
159 Crocker Blvd, Suite 400
Cleveland, OH 44113
Marcarelli-Naizby Law Firm
584 Boston Post Rd.
Madison, CT 06443