Coby Scher has practiced in the environmental field for over 40 years, most of it as a registered professional engineer in the State of Texas. Mr. Scher has degrees in chemistry from Rice University and environmental engineering from the University of Houston. He has been an elected Diplomate of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers since 1988 in the Hazardous Waste specialty and a Diplomate of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers since 2005. He is an expert in forensic environmental engineering, especially issues pertaining to fate and interaction of chemicals in environmental media. Mr. Scher is currently a Senior Engineer with TGE Resources, in Houston, Texas.
Areas of Expertise
- Above Ground Storage Tank (AST)
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Engineering
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste
- Lead Poisoning
- Sanitary Engineering/Waste Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: BA Chemistry - Rice University
MS Environmental engineering - University of Houston
Registered Professional Engineer – State of Texas # 35126
Board Certified Diplomate in Hazardous Waste Management – American Academy of Environmental Engineers # 88-30002
Board Certified Diplomate in Forensic Engineering by NAFE # 687M
LPST Corrective Action Project Manager – State of Texas # CAPM01634
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Academy of Environmental Engineers
National Society of Professional Engineers
National Academy of Forensic Engineers
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Chemical Society
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Professor Rice University - Chemical Engineering design
Teaching Assistant University of Houston - Environmental engineering design
Speaking engagements - Many including Penn State University, University of Missouri, Iowa State University, University of Minnesota and presentations to industry, government and academia on a variety of environmental topics.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Many
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Environmental engineering and science; explosion
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 25%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 75%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 15
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2012
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 10
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 6
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting on most aspects of environmental engineering and science
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $375
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $375
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Expenses (+15%) as necessary to perform the engagement
Available Upon Request