Childhood psychological trauma expert. Harvard Medical School graduate, Phi Beta Kappa, often a guest on national television, Gilbert Kliman M.D. is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, Life Fellow and Diplomate of The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Noted as the developer of three nonprofit children's agencies including The Center for Preventive Psychiatry, NY, The Foster Care Study Unit of Columbia U. Dept. of Child Psychiatry, and The Children's Psychological Health Center, Inc. of San Francisco, he spends 60% of his time on treatment and research concerning children and families. Winner of the 2016 American Psychoanalytic Association Award for interdisciplinary work in childhood education and child analysis, the 2009 Dean Brockman Award for Outstanding Contributions to Psychoanalysis and Psychiatry, and the Janusz Korczak award for "world's best book on well-being and nurture of children, his approximately 100 books and publications are on child and family psychiatry issues. He has an active clinical practice with children and families. Regarding his deposition and trial testimony on behalf of defense or plaintiffs in over 300 cases of psychological trauma, see www.expertchildpsychiatry.org. In complex defense cases his testimony has successfully assisted the cities of New York, Oakland, and Flint, and corporations such as Club Mediterrane, The Heartland Christian Academy, Maritime Interests and The Salvation Army. In plaintiff cases, awards and settlements concerning children about whom he has testified include record making jury awards and settlements.
Gilbert Kliman, M.D. has helped establish precedents for use of psychiatric testimony in loss of parental services matters. Wrongful death actions such as Gilman vs. City of Long Beach, CA, Victims of the Ann St. Fire vs. Consolidated Edison and the City of New York, Dobbins vs. Commercial Jet (Federal Case), and McCasland vs. Trendelenborg Valve (Superior Court, Anchorage) have given Dr. Kliman a substantial experience of effectiveness in testimony. State of mind of the deceased has also been explained in major jury cases (Does vs. Archdiocese of Dallas), resulting in record making jury verdicts and settlements. He was lead expert against the Archdioces of Dallas, Los Angeles Archdiocese, and The OK Boys Ranch. His defense work has also resulted in numerous satisfied clients
Areas of Expertise
- Brain Injury
- Child Custody
- Child Psychiatry
- Child Psychology
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Class Actions
- Education & Schools
- Emotional Trauma
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychology
- Life Care Planning
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychologists & Psychiatrists
- Sanity/Trial Competency
- School Safety
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Spousal Abuse
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: M.D. Harvard Medical School, Distinguished Life Fellow of American Psychiatric Association, Diplomate in Psychiatry and Neurology, Fellow and Diplomate of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Certified in Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychoanalysis by the American Psychoanalytic Association and the NY Psychoanalytic Institute. Licensed in California.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Psychiatric Association, American Psychoanalytic Association, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute and Society, Northern California Regional Organization of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Dr. Kliman can and has given CLE seminars at law firms and bar associations on the following child-focussed subjects, concerning which he has created CLE videotapes, and concerning which he has extensive actual case testimony experience:
Loss of Parental Services/Wrongful Death of a Parent
Catastrophic Injuries During Childhood
True and False Allegations of Child Molestation
Allegations of Institutional Neglect
Foster Care, Schools, Residential Treatment Facilities
Molestation of Boys by Women
Pastoral abuse of girls and boys
Defense and Plaintiff Aspects of Allegations of Large Scale Wrongdoings at Schools
Over 100 speaking engagements on professional subjects, mainly child and family stressor issues. Television appearances regarding child and national traumas on Barbara Walters, Today Show, Straight Talk, Peter Jennings, San Francisco Channel II, Multiple Radio appearances on PBS.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 225.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Childhood psychological trauma, sexual molestation, church negligence, institutional neglect of children, catastrophic injuries, loss of parental services, wrongful deaths, foster care, school safety issues, life long effects of PTSD, psychiatric life care planning
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 70%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 30%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 200
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: Three weeks ago.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Over 100.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Over 100.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 40 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Psychiatric consulting, evaluating, reports of opinions,psychiatric life care plans, testimony. Leadership of teams of experts in multi-plaintiff cases.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $700
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150 to $700, using staff
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $3600 for four hours, $7000 for eight hrs
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $3600 for four hours, $7000 for eight hrs
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Staff and associates may work with me, at lower rates, depending on qualifications. See www.expertchildpsychiatry.org for rates, retainer agreement, lists of cases and attorney references
John Connelly, Jr.
and Lincoln Beauregard
Connelly Law Center
2301 North 30th Street
Tacoma, WA 98403
6440 North Central Expressway
1000 University Tower
Dallas, TX 75206