Building Forensics International properly investigates and authoritatively answers questions about the design, installation and performance of concrete and related materials of construction, including cement, concrete, aggregates, plaster, gunite, masonry and related materials. Specialty includes review of contracts, specifications, construction documents and the work for conformance to relevant industry standards. Frequently investigates claims of sulfate attack, alkali aggregate reations, and excessive cracking. Assessment of distress or damage and its causation, whether related to earthquake, fire, flood, adverse environmental exposure, soil conditions, service, lack of maintenance or some special use, is a frequently provided service. Services include understanding and evaluation of concrete proportioning, batching, batch plants, mixing, transportation, conveying, depositing, vibrating, screeding, embed installation, and finishing.
- Brick & Stone
- Building Codes
- Civil Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Lath & Plaster
- Paint & Coatings
- Pools & Spas
- Structural Engineering
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. Civil Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 1979. Various ongoing specialized training in engineering and materials with emphasis on portland cement, portland cement concrete, concrete-making materials, cement-containing products, repair and coating products and testing and inspection of structural materials used in construction.
Registered Civil Engineer (CA C-45208 granted 1/1990, with a current expiration date of 9/30/2020)
Registered Disaster Worker - Residential Construction
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Arizona Concrete Contractors Association, (ACCA)
American Concrete Institute (ACI) Local & National Member - RRC Responsibilities in Concrete Construction Sub-Committee, 552, Geotechnical Grouting Sub-Committee, 201 Durability Committee, Cement Sub-Committee, 225
American Society of Concrete Contractors, (ASCC)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) LA Section, Orange County Group, Member - Forensic Engineering Technical Group
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), including Committees C-1 Cement, and C-9, Concrete, Various Sub-Committees
Forensic Consultants Association of Orange County, (FCAOC)
Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute - AZ Chapter (ICPI)
International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI), National and Charter Local Member, Geotechnical Grouting Sub-Committee
Plastering Contractors Association of Southern California (PCASC)
Pre-Cast Concrete Manufacturers Association of California (PCMAC) Professional Member
Pre-Cast Concrete Institute (PCI) Professional Member
Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI) Professional Member
Society of Concrete Construction, Professional Member
Structural Engineers Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) Member, Concrete Sub-Committee since 1988, Member Arizona Chapter
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Over 10 Years Civil Engineers License Review, to include preparation of Notes and Lectures for the following:
Concrete Construction - Cold Weather
Concrete Construction - Hot Weather
Concrete Construction - Durability
Concrete Construction - Sulfate Attack
Concrete Construction - Alkali Silica Reaction
Sulfate Attack Litigation
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No investigations, suspensions, revocations, or removals of any License
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: In Excess of 2,000
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Concrete and Cement Related Evaluations of: materials, proportions, performance, installation, cement and concrete truck batching, mixing and unloading, construction, damage, specifications, causation, defects, water damage, contract disputes, personal injury in regards to such materials.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Varies from 5% to 50%; depends on whether you define cross complaints as plaintiff work.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Varies, over 50%; depends on whether you define cross complaints as plaintiff work.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: In excess of 150
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: January 2020
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: In excess of 12
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: In excess of 24
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: In excess of 25
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Services offered encompass everything from original consultation which includes all planning, field observations, sampling, testing, and (if appropriate) retention of qualified consulting specialized sub consultants, to trial preparation and presentation.
Have particular skill and understanding of Daubert and Kelly Frye tests.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $375.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Depends - Have varied and highly qualified staff. Fees from $90.00 to $750.00/hour. If I review, $375.00/hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500.00 depo and trial rate.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500.00 depo and trial rate.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Too long to list.
William J. Ingalsbe, Esq.
Monteleone & McCrory, LLP
200 West Santa Ana Boulevard
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Daniel J. Smith, Esq.
Bowman & Brooke, LLP
1741 Technology Drive
San Jose, CA 95110-1355
Joel Odou, Esq.
Wood, Smith, Henning & Berman, LLP
7670 West Lake Mead Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89128
Curtis Parvin, Esq.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold
3 Park Plaza
Irvine, CA 92614
James McGee, Esq.
McGee and Associates
23 Corporate Plaza, Suite 230
Newport Beach, CA 92660