Dr. Gary Hutter provides consulting services in safety in various aspects of Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, and Human Factors. Dr. Hutter is an Associate Professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), where he has taught courses in safety since 1997. Dr. Hutter is a Registered Professional Engineer (PE), and a Certified Safety Professional (CSP). He is an active member of various safety committees of the National Safety Council (NSC) , ASTM, and ANSI. In 2013 Dr. Hutter became chairman of the NSC's safety committee for machinery safety. He is also a cited author/ reviewer/ contributor on several OSHA, ANSI, and NSC publications/ documents addressing safety issues. He has over 30 years of professional experience as an engineer, educator, and consultant.
Areas of Expertise
- Child Safety
- Construction Safety
- Consumer Products
- Environmental Engineering
- Equipment & Machinery
- Failure Analysis
- Food Processing Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Hazardous Materials
- Human Factors Engineering
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Labels & Warnings
- Ladders & Scaffolds
- Latches & Fasteners
- Machine Guarding
- Mechanical Engineering
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Power Tools
- Products Liability
- Real Estate
- Safety Engineering
- Safety Equipment
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Walking & Working Surfaces
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. Mechanical Engineering 1970 Univ of Illinois
M.S. Environemental Engineering 1977 Univ of IL.
Ph.D. Environmental & Occupational Health Studies 1991 U of IL.
M.S. Human Factors ( 90% complete) Univ of Idaho
Registered Professional Engineer, IL
Certified Safety Proferssional
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Safety Council (NSC), committee safety chairman
American National Standards Institute (ANSI), standards implementer
American Standards for Testing and Materials (ASTM), standards voting member
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), past H F committee chairman
Fabricators & Manufacturers Association (FMA), safety committee member
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 1) Associate Professor at the Univ. of Illinois
2) Assocuiate Professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago, teaching 3 graduate courses in Industrial Hygiene and Safety, OSHA Compliance, risk assessment
3) Past chairman/ speaker at NSC seminars on machine tool safety issuers. Cited author on machine safeguarding guideline
4) Presenter at several professional meetings/ seminars
5) Sited by OSHA as a contributor to criteria for Confined Space, Woodworking Eq., Lockout & Tagout, Machine Guarding ( Google search on "Gary Hutter")
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Have never been excluded from testifying.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I normally testify about 12 times a year (deposition and trial). I am retained about 4 times per month on a project where I may be required to testify. I also am retained to perform tests, gather technical materials, provide technical guidance, collect and document evidence. Our firm also provides non-litigation safety services,, such as OSHA and safety audits; accident documentation.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Various aspects of mechanical, industrial hygiene, environemntal, and safety engineering, EXAMPLES:
1) Confined space entry
3) Metal working/ non-metal working machines
4) Hot water burns
5) Chemicals/ MSDS/warnings/ exposures
6) Machine design for safety
7) Training and PPE criteria.
8) Human factors, including written safety materials
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: Looking at the part 5 years: about 60% Plaintiff/ 40% defendant based on testimony. Retentions that are resolved before the need for testimony may be slightly different.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: Looking at the past 5 years: about 40% defendant, 60& plaintiff based on testimony. Retentions that are resolved before the need for testimony may be slightly different
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: About 10 times per year over the past 5 years.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: I have given testimony over the past decade thru 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Every time to date. My rough estimate is about 3 times a year average for the past 10 years, or about 30 times over that time period. I have testified in prior years, but I do not have a good estimate of the numbers.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: See above.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I initially worked for Ford Moter Company & the EPA involved with safety issues, and was involved with litigation issues then, starting in about 1975, but testifying was not a common element of my work until about 1988. Since that time I have provided forensic consultation services.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Our firm offers services in: Testing; sampling; documentation of failed equipment/ aqccidents; safety/ evironmental audits; MSDS work; compliance issuers; insurance investigations, technical research; safety literature acquisition; numerical analysis; artifact storage; competitive literature retrieval
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $220/ hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $220/ hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $220 hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250/hr
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Reimbursement for out of pocket expenses.
Michael Panter/ Chuck Cannon
30 North LaSalle, Suite 1524,
Chicago, IL 60602
Holland & Hart
555 17th Street, Suite 3200
Denver, CO 80202
5101 Thimsen Avenue
Minnetonka, MN 55345
Johnson & Bell
55 East Monroe, Suite 4100
Chicago, Il 60603
Grant, Ross, & Fanning
550 West Washington, Suite 1600
Chicago, Il 60661
Debra Bursik/ George Burnett
Liebmann, Conway, Olejniczak & Jerry
231 S Adams Street
Green Bay, WI 23200