I am a pediatric infectious disease physician, also trained in medical ID. I have 40 years of clinical experience in the field and have served as an expert witness in a considerable number of medical liability cases, both for the defense and the plaintiff, depending upon the merits of the case. I am an academic physician with a great deal of boots-on-the-ground medico-legal experience. I am also a Research Professor at the Milkin Institute of Public Health of George Washington University.
I have had a broad experience in diagnosing and treating infectious diseases of children and adults. These include: bacterial and viral meningitis and distinguishing same from non-infectious causes of meningeal pleocytosis, osteomyelitis and pyogenic arthritis and distinguishing those from non-infectious causes of bone destruction and/or pain, issues having to do with vaccinology, gastro-intestinal and genito-urinary infections to mention a few. I am particularly sensitive to issues having to do with completeness of diagnosis and treatment plans.
Please see my curriculum vitae for relevant articles I have published.
I look forward to hearing from you.
- Infectious Disease
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: MD
Licensed in Maryland
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: AAP
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Academic appointment: Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine
Previous appointments: University of Rochester, University of Michigan, Columbia University, UMDJ
Subject matter: pediatric infectious diseases
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: About 35
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Pediatric infectious diseases
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 90
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 10
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 1
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: All of the above
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $650/hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $5,000/day or any part of a day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: All of the above plus FedEx costs
I send this email to let you know that Dr. Edward Lewin was one of the experts we retained on a large medical malpractice case in the Buffalo, New York area and he was truly outstanding to work with. He was thorough and extremely helpful to us in putting together the medical aspects of this case. During our multiple conversations regarding the file, he answered our questions and helped us strategize about what to expect in response to our positions on the medical issues and how we could counter those responses. One of the things I truly appreciate about good medical experts is their willingness to get to know and understand the file as well as we do. One of the stressors of legal trial work is preparing an expert witness and directing their testimony in the courtroom because you cannot always control how well they know the file and whether they will mix up the facts and thus respond to a question from the opposing side in a way that actually can hurt your case in the end. Dr. Lewin took the time to read the very voluminous records in our case and he KNEW this file extremely well from a factual perspective. That is so vitally important to our work because here in New York, the success of a trial can rest on the strength of your expert’s opinions and presentation. We truly appreciated his efforts to help us achieve a good result for our clients. Thank you.
I wanted to take the time to express my appreciation for the very professional manner that you displayed when you recently reviewed a case for me. You quickly reviewed the material and conveyed complex medicine in understandable terms. You also demonstrated a deep understanding of the need to tie any departure to the outcome. I would not hesitate to recommend you to a colleague, and I look forward to working with you again.
Simonson Goodman Platzer PC
I had the pleasure of working with Dr. Lewin as a consulting expert on a pediatric medical negligence case. After his initial review, it was clear that Dr. Lewin had a very detailed understanding of both the case specific facts and the medicine involved. He was compassionate and kind when it became necessary to speak with the victim’s family. He asked good questions that probed potential problems in our case. He did a great job distilling down complex medical issues to the essential elements so that I could better understand my client’s story and advocate accordingly. I strongly recommend Dr. Lewin and hope that I get the opportunity to work with him again.
-Brian M. Sullivan
Sullivan Law Group, PLLC