Don May is a former MIT professor and Managing Partner at DMA Economics LLC and possesses over 30 years’ experience in consulting, valuation and litigation support as well as researching, publishing and teaching at the university level. His experience includes implementing a broad range of damage analyses and valuations for businesses of various sizes and in numerous industries. Prior to founding DMA Economics, Dr. May was Managing Director at Berkley Research Group and the Principal in charge of valuation and litigation support services for a regional accounting firm, a Managing Director for PricewaterhouseCoopers and a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Sloan School of Management.
Dr. May has prepared expert reports and testified in federal and state courts as well as AAA, JAMS, and FINRA arbitration hearings and has effectively communicated as an expert witness testifier and consultant in several multi-million dollar cases.
Dr. May has been published in several distinguished academic and practitioner journals such as The Journal of Finance, The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Hedge Fund Law Review, and is currently an editorial board member of The Journal of Business Valuation and Economic Loss Analysis.
Some examples of recent matters Dr. May has been asked to evaluate, analyze and/or opine on include the valuation of damages related to:
• • ERISA and shareholder portfolio mismanagement and fraud
• Lost profits and enterprise value associated with product defects and breach of contract
• Theft of trade secrets, trade dress and this intellectual property
• Hedge fund valuation and hedge fund interest valuation
• Leveraged buyout (“LBO”) financing practices
• Damages from accounting misstatements related to private and public acquisitions
• Securities fraud under SEC Section 10b-5 and Section 11
• Merger and Acquisition disputes
Dr. May has also performed valuations of over 200 closely held businesses across numerous industries for financial reporting and estate planning.
- Business Interruption
- Business Valuation
- Intellectual Property
- Lost Profits
- Trade Secrets
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PhD, CPA
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Editorial board for the Journal of Business Valuation and Economic Loss Analysis
American Finance Association
American Economic Association
American Accounting Association
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), State of Illinois, 1985
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor of finance at MIT Sloan School of Management, Currently teach Economic Damages for the Practicing Law Institute
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: Never
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 200
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Lost profits, business valuation, securities fraud, product mislabeling, breach of contract
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Over 25
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2 weeks ago
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Over 30 times
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Over 10 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testifying, reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $750
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $750
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses
Fleischman Law Firm
565 5th Ave, New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 880-9567
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 715-9456