I specialize in the practice of failure analysis. My background is in mechanical engineering, materials science, and metallurgy. I focus on determining the root cause of failures in a wide variety of products, including machinery, vehicles, pressure vessels, medical devices, consumer products, building materials, and communications equipment. I conduct construction defect investigations of mechanical systems including plumbing and heating, ventilating, and air conditioning installations. My specific areas of interest are fatigue, fracture and corrosion of various materials, including metals, plastics, and fiber composites.
- Equipment & Machinery
- Failure Analysis
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plumbing & HVAC
- Products Liability
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 1998
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 1985
Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer, California #M27229, Nevada #ME021731
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Society of Automotive Engineers
American Society for Composites
Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
American Society for Testing and Materials - Committee C27 on Precast Concrete Products
National Fire Protection Association
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Society for Experimental Mechanics
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: “Scientific Tools to Resolve Fire and Explosion Losses,” Wildland Fire Litigation Conference, Monterey, California, April 24, 2016
“Disaster in the Courtroom – the Role of Failure Analysis in Litigation,” Vela Insurance Services Litigation Workshop, Omaha, Nebraska, November 14, 2013
“Design Objectives of Orthopedic Prostheses; Fatigue,” Orthopedic Biomechanics, ME C176, BIOE C119, University of California, Berkeley Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering, November 2, 2006
“Residual Stress in Weld Clad Pipe,” 2004 Society for Experimental Mechanics, SEM X International Congress and Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Costa Mesa, California, June 7–10, 2004 (with Y. Potdar)
“Implementing the Maintenance Excellence Program—Failure Analysis Investigations,” Vezer’s Precision Industrial Constructors of California, Inc. 9th Annual Summer Conference, Training Seminar, Claremont, California, August 2002 (with S. Hopkins)
“Personal Medical Instruments,” Stanford Design Experience, Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University, Stanford, California, June 1998 (with R. Lathrop et al.)
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: no
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 1500
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Failure analysis, mechanical engineering, materials science, metallurgy
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 70
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: January, 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 30
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, testing, reports, site inspections
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: 315
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: 315
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 315
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: 315
Available Upon Request