Dr. David Niebuhr has over 20 years experience in the field of metallurgical engineering. He has worked on numerous failure analysis projects and provided guidance as a technical advisor and expert witness. His experience includes academic and industrial research of real-world engineering challenges. He has authored over a dozen technical publications and worked on technologies ranging from hard disk drives to railroad track wear.
- Failure Analysis
- Professional Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. Materials Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
Ph.D. Materials Science & Engineering, Oregon Graduate Institute of Science & Technology, Portland, OR
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: ASM
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Professor of Metallurgical Engineering 1999-2006
Adjunct Professor, 2006 - Present, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 40+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Metallurgy, Failure analysis, Corrosion, Wear, Fatigue fracture, Consumer electronics, product liability, Oil & Gas metallurgy, fire
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 15+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: December 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I was qualified as an expert in every case that went to trial and for three that settled on the eve of trial
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: five
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 17
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting as a metal and materials expert, reviewing failed components or systems, site visits, reviewing documents or patents, facilitate lab testing, prepare expert reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $350
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $350
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Expenses are billed at cost, including travel copies, lab fees; mileage is $0.65 per mile, travel time is negotiable based on distance
Available Upon Request