David Kalb is one of the foremost contractors licensing experts in California. He has been recognized as an Expert Witness on dozens of cases and has testified at trial. David is founder and past President of Capitol Services Inc.
Available for DECLARATIONS, EXPERT CONSULTATION and EXPERT WITNESS testimony on select civil matters related to:
• Proper contractor’s license classification
• Whether a contractor's license was required for a particular project.
• Code Section 7031 including Substantial Compliance
• Contractors Licensing Law including B&P Code Interpretation
• CSLB Rules and Procedures.
David has assisted contractors, the construction industry and legal community for over 30 years in dealing with the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) and other State agencies. Prior to starting Capitol Services in 1982, he worked for Governor Jerry Brown as a Staff Liaison with various State Departments, including the CSLB.
David is also widely known as the author of Kalb’s Capitol Connection, a Q&A column which appeared weekly in industry trade publications and statewide Builder’s Exchange newsletters and websites. His column provided answers to contractors, attorneys and other professionals on a wide variety of contractors licensing issues.
Author: What Every Contractor Should Know: Answers to Real World Licensing Questions in California, Nevada & Arizona
Areas of Expertise
- Contractor's Licensing
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Masters, PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION, California State University, Sacramento, CA - June 1980
Bachelor of Arts, POLITICAL SCIENCE, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA - June 1976.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Featured speaker for numerous builder exchanges, contractor associations, and business broker groups. Subject matter included: contractors licensing, contractors license law plus CSLB and other state agency procedures
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: seventy-five (75)
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Contractor's licensing in California; Contractors State License Board (CSLB) procedures and issues
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: approximately 25%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: approximately 75%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 7
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 31, 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: over 25 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, reports
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $400.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $400.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $500.00
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $500.00
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel expenses including air, hotel, car rental
Paul W. Berning
Law Offices of Paul W. Berning
2381 Mariner Square Drive, Suite 180
Alameda, California 94501
Kenneth G. Ruttenberg
Tesser, Ruttenberg & Grossman LLP
12100 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 220
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Schwartz Heidel Sullivan
401 B Street Suite 2400
San Diego, CA 92101