Dave Doddridge has over 50,000 hours of hands on experience owning, operating and working in a construction company. He has also completed extensive coursework, seminar and lecture attendance in his particular areas of expertise. Dave was literally born into the construction business, as evidenced in a painting by his mother of him as a toddler hammering a nail into a board while “helping” his father do carpentry work.
His father, Donald Doddridge, had helped his own father build the family house, and Dave continued the tradition. Dave and his dad formed a construction company together in 1983, after his dad had started a home inspection company in the 70’s. In 1996 Donald started providing litigation support to attorneys with Dave’s assistance, and Dave continued on in the construction industry under Doddridge Associates. Currently, Dave continues to provide litigation support while still actively building under Doddridge Associates, Inc.
Unlike architects and engineers, Dave has been specifically trained in residential and commercial building codes as well as construction site safety and building inspections. He is also knowledgeable about legal issues related to being an expert. His 25 years of practical, hands-on experience provides him with the unique ability to translate written words into three-dimensional, real world interpretations. His extensive construction experience combined with his training make him invaluable as a forensic expert. His continuing and specific education in building codes, construction site safety, building materials and techniques is a testament to his commitment to his profession.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Building Contractor Liability
- Forensic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Products Liability
- Professional Engineering
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified in Building Codes under the International Code Council, Certified in Commercial Property Condition Assessments under ASTM Guidelines from CDW Engineering, Commercial & Residential Construction Supervisors License, Home Improvement Contractor Registration, OSHA Certification in construction site safety, InterNACHI Certified, Building Envelope Inspector
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Code Council, National Association of Home Builders, Massachusetts Home Builders Association, Home Builders & Remodelers Association of Cape Cod, Boston Bar Association, Building Envelope Science Institute
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Author and presenter of CLE's on; walkway safety, stairways and ramps, construction safety & OSHA, scaffolding, commercial building inspections, slips-trips-falls, fall protection on construction sites, ladders, hand and power tools
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 300-400
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Construction disputes in residential & commercial construction, building codes, building inspections, construction accidents, personal injury, premises liability, construction cost disputes
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 18
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Approximately 16
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Approximately 16
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Over 20
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Inspections of subject property, compliance with contract documents, specifications, building codes, forensic report writing, expert testimony, review of discovery file, construction cost estimating, compliance with industry standards
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $275
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $275
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $275/hr. including travel time portal-to-portal
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $275/hr. including time spent to travel to/from portal-to-portal
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel-$75/hr. (reduced rate) for time traveling related to meetings, inspections, etc.
Travel expenses; tolls, air fare, mileage
Travel to and from deposition or trial- $275/hr.
"I use D.A. Doddridge and Associates whenever I’m in need of expert analysis respecting the condition of real estate and issues respecting compliance with the State Building Code and other state and federal regulations. Both Donald and his son David are highly respected in the legal community and are a pleasure to deal with."
Attorney William Harrington
…..Both Don & David Doddridge have consistently provided me with exceptional reporting and court testimony.
Daniel Capodilupo, Esq.
Dear Mr. Doddridge:
Thank you for your professional work with respect to my client's claim for defective workmanship during the construction of her home addition. Your detailed inspection and photographing of the defects and your testimony before the jury was effective and assisted us in obtaining a just verdict for our client.
Very truly yours,
Joseph F. deMello, Esquire