Curtis "Curt" Lavarello is one of the nation's most sought after consultants in the field of School Safety and School Based Policing. Curt served as a 25+ year Law Enforcement Executive in South Florida, as the Executive Director/Founder of the Nat'l Association of School Resource Officers and currently as the Executive Director/CEO of the School Safety Advocacy Council. Curt has has been retained as a consultant by both plaintiffs and defense in a number of cases involving school based policing, school violence, bullying and law enforcement protocol.
Curt has been featured on all major television networks for his expertise in the school safety field, including CNN, ABC, NBC and Fox News. Curt is a regular contributor on Fox News Radio and is often quoted in a number of national print media. Curt has been invited to the White House on 3 occasions by President Clinton, following the Columbine Tragedy. President George Bush, following the Virginia Tech tragedy and by Vice-president Biden following the Sandy Hook incident. Curt served on a Post-Columbine Review Committee established following the tragedy in Littleton, Colorado.
Areas of Expertise
- Education & Schools
- Emergency Communications & 911
- Law Enforcement
- School Safety
- School Security
- Security Management
- Special Event Security
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified Law Enforcement - State of Florida (1980)
Certified School Resource Officer - State of Florida (1986)
Certified School Resource Officer Practitioner - National (1990)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: International Association of Chiefs of Police - Member (Since 2001)
International Association of Chiefs of Police - Juvenile Justice Committee Member (2011 - present)
Florida Society of Association Executives
Florida Association of School Resource Officers - Board Member
National Association of School Resource Officers (Founder, Vice-President, President, Executive Director 1991-2004)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Speaker - National Judicial College - School Safety
Speaker - International Association of Chiefs of Police Conference - Several Occasions
Speaker - Iowa Association of Chiefs of Police - School Based Policing
Speaker - Florida Association of School Resource Officers - School Based Policing
Speaker - National Association of School Business Professionals - Leadership Summit - School Safety
Speaker - National Conference on Bullying (2013,14,15,16) -
Speaker - National School Safety Conference - (2015, 2016) - School Safety Assessments
Speaker/Instructor - Florida Attorney General's Office (Active Shooter, School Crisis and School Based Policing)
Speaker - Alabama Department of Education
Speaker - Texas Sheriffs Association
Speaker - Iowa Chiefs of Police Association
Speaker - Florida Sheriff's Association
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 10+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: School Based Policing Protocol
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 30
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 70
Greenberg Traurig, LLP | Suite 400 North
3773 Howard Hughes Parkway | Las Vegas, Nevada 89169
Troy W. Holland, Esquire
Goodis, Thompson & Miller
150 2nd Avenue North, Suite 1500 - St. Petersburg, FL 33701