Expert witness/consultant with 40 years of nursing experience and knowledge, retained in over 70 cases to give expert testimony at deposition and trial. Ms. Paine has worked on medical malpractice, personal injury and product liability cases. Currently clinically active in critical care, with experience also in interventional radiology and general medical-surgical nursing. In addition to reviewing cases for merit, summarizing medical records via reports or timelines and retaining medical experts, Ms. Paine works with attorneys and their associates to explain the nursing standard of care and to evaluate and analyze all aspects within the nursing realm.
Areas of Expertise
- Critical Care Medicine
- Elder Abuse
- General Surgery
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Legal Nurse Consultant
- Medical Malpractice
- Medical Records
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Spine Surgery
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Certified critical registered nurse(CCRN)
Critical care certification in 1985
Diploma in nursing in 1973
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Member of American Association of Critical Care Nurses
Member of American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Competency training for fellow nurses in ventilator care,chest tube maintenance, ventriculostomy/lumbar drain care, pulmonary artery catheter maintenance and care.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 70 cases.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Nursing expert for medical malpractice, personal injury and product liability.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 60
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 40
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 12
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May of 2013
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 2
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 3
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2007
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: 1.Expert witness in deposition, trial, arbitration and mediation
2.Screen cases for merit
3.Describe the applicable standard of care
4.Identify deviations or adherence to standard of care
5.Assess damages and injuries
6.Summarize medical records
7.Organize medical records
8.Conduct literature search and integrate applicable literature into case analysis
9.Identify and locate needed experts
11.Review and draft responses to legal documents
12.Prepare deposition questions
13.Develop written reports, chronologies or timelines for use by the attorney in case preparation
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $200./hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $200./hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $300./hr.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $300./hr.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel time at $150./hr., telephone consultation, literature search, Postal, UPS, FedEx charges, Parking
References upon request.