Oil, Gas, Chemical INFRASTRUCTURE Emphasis. Bulk Liquid Terminal Consultant and pipeline System Consultant for over 40 years; experience at over 1,000 aboveground tank terminals and pipelne systems nationwide and several others overseas. Qualified for environmental, safety, health, fire, explosion, variance, loss, and security matters. Clients have included the U.S. Dept. of Justice, insurance companies, trial courts, plaintiff, defendant, tank farm firms, oil and chemical owners, and their contractors. At FBI & DOE referral, has completed vulnerability assessment work for over 1,500 tank terminals as part of DOE's Infrastructure Assurance Program administered by Argonne National Lab for Homeland Security, DOD, and industry facility protection projects. Was previously National Technical Director of the tank farm trade association (ILTA), and also GATX Terminal Corporate EH&S Manager (largest tank farm comaany of the day; now Kinder Morgan). I have also owned 3 consulting engineering companies and have completed expert testimony for issues affecting the midstream portion of the oil and chemical industry. Routinely complete Agency Compliance, Facility Conformance, and Industry Consensus ("3-C") Audits and Inspections of terminals and piplines nationwide and in China.
Areas of Expertise
- Above Ground Storage Tank (AST)
- Accident Investigation
- Accident Reconstruction
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Bus & Truck Safety/Accident
- Business Valuation
- Construction Safety
- Driver Behavior
- Eminent Domain
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Toxicology
- Equipment & Machinery
- Failure Analysis
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste
- Industrial Hygiene & Mold
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Ladders & Scaffolds
- Lead Poisoning
- Machine Guarding
- Mapping & Surveying
- Marine Insurance
- Occupational/Environmental Health
- Oil & Gas
- Private Investigators
- Products Liability
- Real Estate
- Risk Management
- Safety Engineering
- Sanitary Engineering/Waste Management
- Security Management
- Slip, Trip & Fall
- Traffic/Highway Safety
- Walking & Working Surfaces
- Warehouse Operations
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Registered Environmental Assessor (REA); California #00036.
Graduate of M.I.T. (Cambridge, MA), Southern Cal (U.S.C./L.A.), and Purdue U.(W. Lafayette, IN).
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: API 2350 Tank Overfill Protection Committee. Dept. Homeland Security Chemical Trasportation Advisotry Committee. State of Virginia Aboveground Tank Regulatory Action Committee.
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: NPMA, ILTA. NISTM. Agency compliance. Company conformance. Industry Standard Consensus. Jet Fuel Quality Assurance and all EH&S subject matter.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 85.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Environmental, health, safety, fire, explosion, security, variance and loss for matters impacting the midstream portion of the oil and chemical industry (terminals, pipelines, logistics).
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 16
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: May 2013.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 16
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 12
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: >40
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Fact witnessing, consulting expert, expert witness. Site inspections.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $275
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $275
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $375
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $375
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel, photocopying, special declarations, signature only, listening to depositions of others.
Available Upon Request based on CASE TYPE.
Selected Attorneys and References (MISC. CASES):
Joe Jaskowiak, HOEPPNER WAGNER & EVANS LLP, 219-769-6552
Sharon Sirott, Martin Sirott, 312.368.9000
Phil Wright, U.S. Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice (304) 345-2200
Bruce McMath, McMath Woods P.A., (501) 396-5403
Bill Durham, EASTHAM, WATSON, DALE & FORNEY, LLP
Max Hittle, Krieg DeVault LLP, 317-238-6207
Ross W. Johnson, Faegre & Benson LLP
Robert P. Dotty, Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP 415- 262-5115
Jon K. Wactor, Wactor & Wick, LLP, 510-465-5750
David E. Nemeth, Jr., Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP, 949-852-6700
John C. Kiehlmeier, Private Attorney at Law, 949-548-1850
Wade B. Wilson, Esq., Morgan Lewis Bockius
David E. Nemeth, Jr., Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP
Steve Levine, Phelps Dunbar, LLP
Bell, Ryniker, & Letourneau
Bill Bankston, Bankston & McCollum, LLP
Gillis E. Reavis, Brown, Reavis, & Manning
Steve McDonald, Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, LLP, 619-699-2576
Damian S. Stone, Montgomery, Kolodny, Amatuzio & Dusbabek, LLP
State of California, REA Registration #00036, State Health & Safety Code Professional Referral of Department of Toxic Substances Control, 916-324-6881