Mr. Lane is a Power Plant and Marine Propulsion Systems specialist. He has 45+ years experience focused on systems integration of power plant and marine propulsion systems. Education through M.S. in Nuclear Physics from the Naval Postgraduate Schools, Monterey, CA and served for 7-years as a nuclear trained officer on submarines. Registered Professional Engineer (CA, AZ & WA).
Mr. Lane has worked as an expert witness on nearly 100 cases including major cases in Australia, Korea and Mexico. His expertise includes assessment of economic damages resulting from both equipment failures and those associated with lost commercial sales of energy resulting from lost or reduced power generation. This includes cases in Federal Court where his qualifications and methodology were formally accepted by the court. Mr. Lane is well versed on operations and maintenance aspects of power generation and propulsion including having been the primary instructor for engineering crew training on several commercial vessels.
Mr. Lane takes a very hands-on approach and while active as an expert witness, continues to work as a project manager and systems integrator for marine propulsion systems. In this role Mr. Lane has gained in-depth knowledge in many areas including mechanical, electrical, controls and instrumentation. This experience includes working with projects ranging from a few hundred kilowatts to utility sized power plants to as much as 1,000 Megawatts. This work has involved a broad range of technologies including as turbines, steam turbines, boilers, large reciprocating engines and fuels sources from natural gas, liquid fuels, landfill & digester gas, municipal waste and others.
- Combustion Engineering
- Construction Safety
- Design Engineering
- Failure Analysis
- Gas Turbine Engineering
- Lost Profits
- Machinery & Equipment Appraisal
- Marine Engineering
- Professional Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Vibration Analysis
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: B.S. Physics - Oregon State University
M.S. Nuclear Physics - Naval Postgraduate School
Professional Engineer- CA, WA & AZ
General Engineering Contractor A-Haz (Currently Inactive)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
Washington Society of Professional Engineers - Board Member & Treasurer (2019-2020)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers (SNAME) - Member and committee member for professional engineer examinations
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: College level algebra, physics and physical oceanography for Chaminade University then Chapman University as part of US Navy onboard college education program while serving as Naval Officer on submarines.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 105 cases
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Mostly related to power plant and marine propulsion technology, gas turbines, steam turbines, boilers, diesel engines, hydro power, geothermal, landfill and digester gas applications. Numerous cases involving asbestos including but not limited to mesothelioma related cases. Also OSHA lockout-tag out rules and application, accident investigations involving industrial machinery, geopthermal, landfill and digester gas applications. Have been involved in several large (up to $190M) cases in international arbitrations including cases in Australia,
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: It is about 60% plaintiff; 40% defendant
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: It is about 60% plaintiff; 40% defendant
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Approximately 25 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 3/3/2017
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I've only once been disqualified and that was because I had been contacted by the Plaintiff, but not retained, and then the Defendant attempted to retain me but the court ruled that I was no longer eligible to work for either as I may have been present when privileged information was disclosed.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I believe five. It has been my experience that the complex technical cases that I work on nearly always settle after exchange of expert reports or after deposition.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Approximately 22 years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Wide range of consulting, site and factory inspections, some testing, very often reporting.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $250 domestic; $300 international.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $250
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $300
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: As I live in the State of Washington that taxes services on a gross receipts basis, if there are large travel or other reimbursed expenses I add the same 1.5% that I am taxed on those reimbursements.
Available Upon Request