Charles Carter was certified as a Litigation Specialist in 2013. He has experience in all aspects of public safety including law enforcement as a certified Patrol Officer, Investigator, and certified as a Chief Deputy Sheriff. In the fire services, he was a certified Firefighter. In emergency medical services (EMS), he was certified as an EMT, Paramedic, and Cardiac Paramedic. He was also certified as a 9-1-1 Emergency Communication Officer, Instructor, and consultant.
In 1987, Charles Carter founded the National Emergency Communication Institute (NECI). Since then, he has authored thirty-two public safety training manuals for public safety management and specializing in national 9-1-1 certification.
Charles has been a litigation consultant and expert witness in twenty-five 9-1-1 lawsuits. He has been judicially reviewed and qualified as an expert witness.
His experience includes in excess of thirty years of public safety service and thousands of hours of classroom training.
- Law Enforcement
- Legal Ethics
- Negligent Hiring
- Wrongful Termination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PUBLIC SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS:
1966 - Miami-Dade Police Academy - Certified Police Officer
1973 - DeKalb County Fire Academy - First Class Firefighter
1974 - DeKalb County Fire Department - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
1974 - DeKalb County Fire Department - Cardiac-qualified Paramedic
1984 - Northeast Georgia Law Enforcement Police Academy (Class President) - Chief Deputy Sheriff Certification
1988 - Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Law Enforcement Instructor
1989 - APCO 9-1-1 Officer Certification
1989 - APCO - 9-1-1 Instructor Certification
1991 - APCO - Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD)
1991 - APCO - EMD Instructor
2013 - Certified as a Certified Litigation Specialist through Americans for Effective Law Enforcement (AELE) by completing the following three courses conducted at conferences:
- Investigation, Management, and Use of Lethal and Less Lethal Force
- Public Safety Discipline and Internal Investigations
- In-custody Deaths (Expired in 2016)
2014 - SEAK Certificate course in "Expert Witness Report Writing"
2013 - Office of the U.S. Secretary of State "Gilman International Scholar"
2014 - Epsilon Pi Tau National Honor Society "Undergraduate Writers Annual Award"
2015 - Minor of Spanish Language, Economics, and Literature - Universidad de Jaen (Spain)
2018 - B.A. of Education in Career and Technical Education (cum laude) - California State
2018 - 2019 Post-graduate Studies - Certificate in Political Science and International Relations - University of Oxford, U.K.
2020 - M.A. of Education in Instructional Design and Technology - California State University
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CURRENT ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International
National Emergency Number Association (NENA)
SEAK. Inc. www.seak.com
Americans for Effective Law Enforcement (AELE)
FORMER ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
• International Technology and Engineering Educators Association, Reston, VA
• Federation of American Scientists, Science-based Analysis of Threats to National and
International Security, Washington, DC
• Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army Institute for Geostrategic and National Security
Research and Analysis, Washington, DC
• Distinguished Lecturer, National Atomic Museum, Smithsonian Affiliate, Las Vegas, NV
• Epsilon Pi Tau National Honor Society, California State University San Bernardino
• Phi Beta Delta International Honor Society, California State University San Bernardino
• National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Washington, DC
• Council of Undergraduate Researchers, Washington, DC
• Institute of International Education, New York, NY
• NASA: “NASA Manned Space Flight Award” presented a Kennedy Space Center: 1969
• IBM Corporation: Apollo/Saturn V System and Safety Awards: 1967 – 1972
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have over thirty years of experience teaching law enforcement, fire services, emergency medical services, and emergency communication (9-1-1). In addition, I have had the following teaching and lecturing experiences:
MILITARY HISTORY LECTURER/WRITER:
• Conference of Military Historians, America’s Air Defense of South FL During and After the
Cuban Missile Crisis: 1962-1979, Washington, D.C., August 2002.
• A Guard Magazine, Cold War Nuclear Missiles in GA: 1960 – 1966, Atlanta, GA, January
• HistoryMiami Tequesta, Cold War Nuclear Missiles in Miami: 1962-1979, Miami, FL,
• Operation Dominic, The Last Nuclear Atmospheric Test by the United States, Las Vegas,
NV, November 2013.
• GA Tech School of Aerospace Engineering, Atlanta, GA
• Southern Polytechnic State University School of Aerospace Engineering, Marietta, GA
• Tellus Science Museum, Cartersville, GA
• Southern Area Rocketry, Atlanta, GA
• National Atomic Test Museum, Las Vegas, NV
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None of my accreditations have ever been investigated, suspended, or removed.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert witness or consultant twenty-five times.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: The areas of expertise for which I have been retained on twenty-five occasions are emergency communication and public safety consulting.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: I have been retained by counsel for Plaintiff in 53% of the cases in which I served.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: I have been retained by counsel for Defebdant in 47% of the cases in which I served.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: My deposition has been taken on six occasions.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: The last time someone took my deposition was in 2015, shortly before I retired, but I am now working full time.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I have been judicially qualified in one case (Edgerton vs. City of Clinton, CT).
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I have testified as an expert in one court case (Edgerton vs. City of Clinton, CT).
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I have worked with the legal industry as an expert witness and consultant for thirteen years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: My services include Subject Matter Expert consulting, researching, literature review, report writing (including FRCP Rule 26 requirements), and testimony.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My hourly fee to consult with an attorney initially is $00/hour. After the first hour, my consulting fee is $250/hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: My hourly fee $250/hour for document review and report writing.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: My hourly rate to provide deposition testimony is $300/hour. This includes any of the following items:
o Pre-Deposition preparation
o Deposition (4-hour minimum)
o Post-deposition conference
o Pre-trial preparation
o At trial (4-hour minimum)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: My hourly rate to provide testimony at trial is $300/hour. This includes any of the following items:
o Pre-testimony preparation
o Testimony (4-hour minimum)
o Post-testimony conference
o Pre-trial preparation
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Documented travel expenses.
Available Upon Request