Charles Carter was certified as a Litigation Specialist with experience in all aspects of public safety including being certified as a 9-1-1 Dispatcher, Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD), Police Officer, First-class Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Cardiac Paramedic, and Chief Deputy Sheriff. In addition to being certified and experienced in each of the components of public safety, Charles has been certified as a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Public Safety Instructor.
In 1987, Charles Carter founded the National Emergency Communication Institute (NECI). Since then, he has authored thirty-two public safety training manuals for public safety management and specializing in national 9-1-1 certification.
Charles has been an Expert Witness in twenty-five 9-1-1 lawsuits 1000 hours in case preparation. He has been judicially reviewed and qualified as an expert witness. His experience includes in excess of thirty years of public safety service and thousands of hours of classroom training.
- Law Enforcement
- Legal Ethics
- Negligent Hiring
- Sexual Harassment/Discrimination
- Workplace Violence
- Wrongful Termination
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: PUBLIC SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS:
1966 - Miami-Dade Police Academy - Certified Police Officer
1973 - DeKalb County Fire Academy - First Class Firefighter
1974 - DeKalb County Fire Department - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
1974 - DeKalb County Fire Department - Cardiac-qualified Paramedic
1984 - Northeast Georgia Law Enforcement Police Academy (Class President) - Chief Deputy Sheriff Certification
1988 - Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Law Enforcement Instructor
1989 - APCO 9-1-1 Officer Certification
1989 - APCO - 9-1-1 Instructor Certification
1991 - APCO - Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD)
1991 - APCO - EMD Instructor
2013 - Certified as a Certified Litigation Specialist through Americans for Effective Law Enforcement (AELE) by completing the following three courses conducted at conferences:
- Investigation, Management, and Use of Lethal and Less Lethal Force
- Public Safety Discipline and Internal Investigations
- In-custody Deaths (Expired in 2016)
2014 - SEAK Certificate course in "Expert Witness Report Writing"
2013 - Office of the U.S. Secretary of State "Gilman International Scholar"
2014 - Epsilon Pi Tau National Honor Society "Undergraduate Writers Annual Award"
2015 - Minor of Spanish Language, Economics, and Literature - Universidad de Jaen (Spain)
2018 - B.A. of Education in Career and Technical Education (cum laude) - California State
2018 - 2019 Post-graduate Studies - Certificate in Political Science and International Relations - University of Oxford, U.K.
2020 - M.A. of Education in Instructional Design and Technology - California State University
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CURRENT ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International
National Emergency Number Association (NENA)
SEAK. Inc. www.seak.com
Americans for Effective Law Enforcement (AELE)
FORMER ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
• International Technology and Engineering Educators Association, Reston, VA
• Federation of American Scientists, Science-based Analysis of Threats to National and
International Security, Washington, DC
• Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army Institute for Geostrategic and National Security
Research and Analysis, Washington, DC
• Distinguished Lecturer, National Atomic Museum, Smithsonian Affiliate, Las Vegas, NV
• Epsilon Pi Tau National Honor Society, California State University San Bernardino
• Phi Beta Delta International Honor Society, California State University San Bernardino
• National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Washington, DC
• Council of Undergraduate Researchers, Washington, DC
• Institute of International Education, New York, NY
• NASA: “NASA Manned Space Flight Award” presented a Kennedy Space Center: 1969
• IBM Corporation: Apollo/Saturn V System and Safety Awards: 1967 – 1972
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have over thirty years of experience teaching law enforcement, fire services, emergency medical services, and emergency communication (9-1-1). In addition, I have had the following teaching and lecturing experiences:
MILITARY HISTORY LECTURER/WRITER:
• Conference of Military Historians, America’s Air Defense of South FL During and After the
Cuban Missile Crisis: 1962-1979, Washington, D.C., August 2002.
• A Guard Magazine, Cold War Nuclear Missiles in GA: 1960 – 1966, Atlanta, GA, January
• HistoryMiami Tequesta, Cold War Nuclear Missiles in Miami: 1962-1979, Miami, FL,
• Operation Dominic, The Last Nuclear Atmospheric Test by the United States, Las Vegas,
NV, November 2013.
• GA Tech School of Aerospace Engineering, Atlanta, GA
• Southern Polytechnic State University School of Aerospace Engineering, Marietta, GA
• Tellus Science Museum, Cartersville, GA
• Southern Area Rocketry, Atlanta, GA
• National Atomic Test Museum, Las Vegas, NV
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None of my accreditations have ever been investigated, suspended, or removed.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: I have been retained as an expert witness or consultant twenty-five times.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: The areas of expertise for which I have been retained on twenty-five occasions are emergency communication and public safety consulting.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: I have been retained by counsel for Plaintiff in 53% of the cases in which I served.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: I have been retained by counsel for Defebdant in 47% of the cases in which I served.
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: My deposition has been taken on six occasions.
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: The last time someone took my deposition was in 2015, shortly before I retired, but I am now working full time.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: I have been judicially qualified in one case (Edgerton vs. City of Clinton, CT).
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: I have testified as an expert in one court case (Edgerton vs. City of Clinton, CT).
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: I have worked with the legal industry as an expert witness and consultant for thirteen years.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: My services include Subject Matter Expert consulting, researching, literature review, report writing (including FRCP Rule 26 requirements), and testimony.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: My hourly fee to consult with an attorney initially is $00/hour. After the first hour, my consulting fee is $250/hour.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: My hourly fee $250/hour for document review and report writing.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: My hourly rate to provide deposition testimony is $300/hour. This includes any of the following items:
o Pre-Deposition preparation
o Deposition (4-hour minimum)
o Post-deposition conference
o Pre-trial preparation
o At trial (4-hour minimum)
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: My hourly rate to provide testimony at trial is $300/hour. This includes any of the following items:
o Pre-testimony preparation
o Testimony (4-hour minimum)
o Post-testimony conference
o Pre-trial preparation
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Documented travel expenses.
Available Upon Request